Gunwale Molding Source/Supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

i386

Captain
I've got a 15' fiberglass skiff that I may be replacing the bottom in. I'll know sometime this week if it's doable once I get the bottom out.

The boat's structure is only two pieces. One part is a simple hull. The other part sits down in it and has seats (that double as thwarts) and compartments/console. The top part provides most of the structural strength.

The two parts are held together by an aluminum extruded gunwale that's riveted in place.

In order to seperate the the halves, I'm removing the gunwales. Overall they're in decent shape and I'm taking care not to damage them too badly while removing them. Ideally, I'd like to replace them with new aluminum or plastic gunwales.

Do you guys know of a supplier that would sell me 30-40 feet of this stuff?

I'll be glad to post some pics of the ones I'm removing if that helps.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gunwale Molding Source/Supplier

it is called a rub rail, they are sold right here in the marine store.

i386

Captain

I did find something in the iboats store by accident.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?view_id=271823

This is the closest thing I've found so far. I'll get some pictures tonight.

What I need actually clamps the two fiberglass "halves" together rather than just screwing to the side of the boat.

Thanks

i386

Captain

Here's a pic...

DSC00815.JPG

tashasdaddy

from what i can see, it looks like it fits over the inner and outer portions of the hull, and thru bolts or rivets,to hold thing together. see if you can get more details on the canoe thing. you could just thru bolt using a washer on each side, and then taking a piece of the black pvc type hose, putting 1 slit in the hose and fit it over the joint, fastening it occasionally. good luck.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

My neighbor needs aluminum gunwale material for his old boat too, where do the manufacturers get it?

i386

Captain

sdunt said:
Old style rub rails that fit over a flange or pount are not easy to find.. I am still looking for a replacement for my boat.

Found what you are holding. While checking some old links I wound up on Taco metals website.. take a look at

http://www.tacomarine.com/item--1-13-16-x-1-Aluminum-Canoe-Rail--A11-0226.html

I don't know who sells this, but it sure looks like your rail..

Yea, that's the same thing I found on iboats.com, same manufacturer too. I looked on Taco's site but didn't find it. Good job! And yea, that really looks like the same thing. I'll measure mine and compare it to their specs. If it looks compatible, I'll see if I can buy a sample from them. I hope it's flexible enough to bend around the bow. It would also be great if it came pre drilled but I'm sure I could make a jig to hold it in a drill press.

Thanks a lot. This really helps.

tashasdaddy

get your self some of the plastic clamps from home depot or lowes, to hold it in place while mounting. usually in a 4 pack.

i386

Captain

Looks like I'm going to have to find one of Taco's distributors I can drive to. iboats wants to charge $115 shipping. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.