To bottom paint or not?

darimont

Cadet
I'm looking opions on bottom paint or not. Heres my story, its a 27 footer that will be in fresh water five months out of the year. I can't take it out ever few months for cleaning, but I can run to a spot and beach it for scrubbing. I wondering if its worth putting an anti fouling paint on. I have talked to people that say yes and some say no they never would, so what do you guys have to say.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: To bottom paint or not?

How clean can yoou get it when you beach it...and does the cleaning take a ton of time from your fun......weigh out the options.....once you paint it the work then begins LOL I am not a huge paint fan....but it certainly has its place. The opinions will vary, but the result will remain what is better for you and your boat ! Just a thought!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I recommend you speak with folks who keep their boats in the same water as you plan to. Sometimes fresh and brackish water don't foul enough to warrant paint. If it does foul enough to warrant paint, use a ablative, multi-season paint, rather than that scrubbing method you described.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chris makes a good point - check the local conditions for the amount of growth on an un-protected bottom. If there is any growth at all, chances are that you will have a devil of a time keeping it off without regular access to dry land & a power washer. Here in the tributaries of the Upper Chesapeake, the water can test as "fresh" a lot of times, but there is a huge amount of growth here. Even with once or twice a week scrubbing, after month #3 in the water, there is enough hair & slime to keep a boat your size from planing. I'd err on the side of painting.

sport15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Season #2 for my Whaler in lake water from about 1 June to 31 August. The blue bottom paint is clean. I have a new to me engine this season that dropped the stern a little over 1 inch. There grew a brown gop that is really tenacious and ugly on the newly submerged topsides. Scrubbing was required at least once every other week and it still stained the gel coat. Needless to say the bottom paint was clean. Prior to going overboard next season there will be bottom paint up to at least ½ inch above the top of the slime line… Maybe a forest green boot top too!

Dave

darimont

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, you made my decision easier. Sounds like I'm going to get the bottom painted for next year in the spring.