1963 Johnson 65 Impeller & Generator Problems

Spencer M

Recruit
I have a old 73 Johnson 65 outoard that has been sitting for many years. It has little hours on it and it started up right away, and ran great. Though, the powerhead was heating up and the exhaust manifold was getting unusaly warm. There was no water coming out of the exhaust (upper) and I am suspecting the impeller is toast. Should I suspect clogging/ blockage anywhere in the system that could cause this?

As well, after putting the volt-meter on the battery, I saw that the voltage remained at 12.6 volts, even when raising the rpm's... therefor the generator is not putting out. I measured the 2 yellow wires, which I think comes from the coils under the flywheel, and measured around 5.6volts per wire, and no volts when engine is stopped. On an engine of this era, could my culperates be?

Spencer M

Recruit
Re: 1973 Johnson 65 Impeller & Generator Problems

Re: 1973 Johnson 65 Impeller & Generator Problems

Sorry to clarrify, it is a 1973 Johnson

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Johnson 65 Impeller & Generator Problems

1973 Correct?

The prime suspect is the water pump impeller. Check that before plunging into some other exotic possibilities.

You need to test the alternator rectifier, the little round aluminum thingy with 3 wires attached to the terminal board. Here's how.
1. Set meter to Ohms (resistance) test
2. Disconnect all wires from rectifier
3. Connect meter leads to red and one yellow. Note resistance, high or low. Now switch meter leads (same red and yellow) and note resistance, high or low. Should be high on one hookup and low on the other.
4. Repeat everything, connecting to red and the other yellow.
5. Repeat everything, connecting to ground (case) and one yellow.
6. Repeat everything, connecting to ground and other yellow.

Note that there are 8 tests. Should be a high and low on each pair. If you don't get the desired results on all 8, the rectifier is toast and the alternator won't work.

Rectifiers are fried by running with loose or dirty battery connections. Never disconnect the battery while the motor is running. The rectifier sees that as a very loose connection and will blow instantly