shift problems 115 1975 mer

snl

Recruit
Have replaced the lower unit with the remote and prop in neutral, I have N & R. The unit has been gone through completely with a new driveshaft installed.
I have read most and tried all the post concerning this problem, however while it has gotten closer still not right.
Dropped the lower unit enough to rotate the lower shift rod and have tried several positions, method for this has been to lift the upper shift rod and rotate the lower rod, trying different spline locations
I can either have N&R or N&F. The only way I have been able to have all three is to disconnect the upper shift arm from the connection at the slightly curved arm on the upper shift rod with the lower unit in final position. This puts forward shift position under the carburators and reverse position within 1/4" of power head which does not allow clearance for nut and bolt, and the cable will not adjust for length.
Reading the post I have been at this for days, totally lets say frustrated.
Would really appreciate any and all help.
Steve

J.L.

Cadet
Re: shift problems 115 1975 mer

Steve,
Unless your controls are not providing the full stroke dimensions necessary, you probably have not installed the reverse bearing carrier in all the way. If you did the work yourself you would need to have at least the special spanner nut tool to install the carrier all the way. The torque on that nut is 200 lbs. and you cannot obtain that with a hammer and punch. You may also have bottomed out with the Pin and reverse gear not meshing, this would not allow the carrier to go all the way down. Turn the drive shaft as you install the carrier to insure the gears are meshing. Assuming you have installed the carrier all the way in place, you may have damaged the shift shaft(bent where it goes into the cam), or the housing where it supports the shaft just before it goes into the cam is egg shaped. This allows the entire shifting mechanism (cam, follower, and clutch dog) to be out of the normal position relative to the levers at the powerhead. You have already found out that there is not enough adjustment available for this kind of slop.
Jerry

snl

Recruit

Thanks
I had a professional rebuild the unit after I removed it. Not to say it still couldn't be wrong. I keep learning a little more each time I read here and work with it. What I do know for certain, is this is most frustrating thing I have ever came across that should be so straight forward.
Is it possible that I have somehow rotated the shift cam. When the unit is in the neutral postion what should be the position of the black plastic lobe on the lower shift rod.
Now if I am standing behind the engine looking down the lobe is on the right side about the 1:00 position.

snl

Recruit

snl said:
Have replaced the lower unit with the remote and prop in neutral, I have N & R. The unit has been gone through completely with a new driveshaft installed.
I have read most and tried all the post concerning this problem, however while it has gotten closer still not right.
Dropped the lower unit enough to rotate the lower shift rod and have tried several positions, method for this has been to lift the upper shift rod and rotate the lower rod, trying different spline locations
I can either have N&R or N&F. The only way I have been able to have all three is to disconnect the upper shift arm from the connection at the slightly curved arm on the upper shift rod with the lower unit in final position. This puts forward shift position under the carburators and reverse position within 1/4" of power head which does not allow clearance for nut and bolt, and the cable will not adjust for length.
Reading the post I have been at this for days, totally lets say frustrated.
Would really appreciate any and all help.
Steve

snl

Recruit

Lessson learned, I have spent many hours chasing a non-exisitent problem.
From the post I read and other sources. I finally learned that I had the shift rods where they belong almost from the start. The problem is in the old worn remote box.