Dumping 70 omc sterndrive or keeping it?

edelahousie

Cadet
Need some serious advice. I have a 1970 omc sterndrive. I believe it is the big one. Its powered by a chevy 350. I just pulled the sterndrive to change the transom boot and noticed the o rings are dried up and all the grease in the pivot caps is also dry. I hope this isn't an indication of what the rest looks like. I asked the local marine shop about a overhaul and was quoted at $1300. My question is , is it worth throwing money into this thing or getting something else. And what would be a suitable replacement.I don't want something new can't afford it, I was told omc drives are expensive and hard to fing parts. I plan to use a chevy 350 marine engine rated at 300hp.My boat is a 1970 Sportcraft , 23ft . Since a omc drive was stock, can you use any sterndrive to replace it.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Dumping 70 omc sterndrive or keeping it?

I would expect to pay about $10,000 to replace it.
First step is to remove the OMC Drive and engine.
Then have the transome rebuilt and the big hole filled in.
At this point you can buy a outdrive and get the correct cupuler to hook up the new outdrive.
Next drill holes the new outdrive needs with a template for that outdrive.

I checked with several dealers a few years ago and the best price I got was $13,000, but that was with a new outdrive not a used one.

If it was not for part I would always keep my old OMC as I like the 90 degree turning and the 90 degree outdrive lift.
If someone were to make the parts and inprove on the drive shaft then it is a great unit.

The outdrive pivot pin grease is easy to clean off and regrease. if you then grease the zert twice a year it hold up very well. Since 1980 I pulled mone one time to clean and regrease.
Also no need to pull the outdrive to change the boot. Wife and I did ours in about 2 hours by just sliding the boot over the outdrive.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dumping 70 omc sterndrive or keeping it?

You can change that drive over to the latter hydro-mechanical or full mechanical stringer drives. You still are with defunct OMC drives but they are later units and may have advantages over the electric drives. As long as your electric is working I'd maintain it and run it.

Another thing you may want to pay attention to is the intermediate drive shaft and coupler. On the earlier units they were fine splined. When I pulled my 30 y/o unit the splines were very stressed looking on both pieces. I replaced them with the later larger splined units that I got off of ebay. They don't wear out. My boat is a 20 ft'r with a 302 v8 and many hours of water skiing on it.