electroshift voltage cut-out value?

packrat

Cadet
I have a '66 evinruude 80 HP starfire engine with electroshift. yesterday it started kicking in and out of fwd gear after a day on the lake, and we were heading in to the marina. I have had problems with the charging system on it, but have replaced the rectifier and diodes recently with no more problems until yesterday. Charge guage showed charging until it started acting up, then I didn't look at it.
My question is, at what voltage does the electroshift drop out of gear? or is it spring-loaded to fwd, as I have read here (the poster was unsure of proper operation, as am I)? Then why was it kicking in and out of gear?
thanks for helping a newby with this!
Mike

packrat

Cadet
Re: electroshift voltage cut-out value?

Oh! Almost forgot

model # 80693 C
serial# E01350

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is not spring loaded to go into forward gear. No electricity=no go. but also, no electricty=no run. Actually I don't know at what voltage it won't stay in gear,or quit running, but the battery would have to be way discharged, I would think.

packrat

Cadet

The battery will still run the engine, radio and the tilt/trim, so I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with it. Had to cut our night fishing trip short, before it even got dark! :(

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check out your shift switch in the remote control. Very common problem.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Check your lower unit's oil to be sure its full and no water in in. If that is good check the green wire for good connections all the way to the controls. Including the switch in the controls. When in fwd, there should be at least 12v on that green wire at all times.

packrat

Cadet

well bhile, you hit it on the head! I just checked the lower unit, and it is a sickly green color.
so the next step is changing the lower unit oil. what else should I do/check under there? I also noticed a new oil stain on the driveway where its sitting, so apparently there is a new leak. can this be easily disassembled and re-sealed?

mcallan

Cadet

The coils in those electric shift bottom ends I find will usually still engage with about eight volts. But they love fresh type c gear oil, and if your switches in your remote control box are in question I have made as a secondary back up, a three position on-off-on switch in cases like that. And if you need a new switch let me know I have one in stock at the shop. Mike

packrat

Cadet

the switches seem to be OK. I will have to wait till the long weekend is over to get the right gear oil for the LU now. :'( there goes the early morning fishing trip.
thanks for the replies, guys!