Ornithologists, what happened here?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As most of you know, I feed a huge flock of hummingbirds. Maybe as many as 100.

All day there is a dogfight going on on my front porch, but it is particularly fierce early morning and late evening. There may be as many as 20-25 birds at a time maneuvering for the 12 "blossoms" on my 3 feeders.

It is dusk. I just walked out on the porch and saw a couple of hummers drop from one of the feeders; dropped like rocks. One landed on the porch.

I picked her up. She seemed unharmed but dazed. She perched on my finger. I stepped off the porch to find the other bird and found not one, but three lying in the grass.

Like the first one, they seemed unhurt. I picked up each one and after a minute or so all four flew off my finger and into their big elm tree.

What happened? Did I startle them so badly that they fainted? Were they exhausted from fighting over the feeders? Were they weakened by not getting enough nectar during the evening battle? Is there something else?

Do I need to do something different? I have three feeders with 4:1 nectar mix in them. Should I have more? Should I go to a 3:1 nectar mix?

I really treasure my tiny buddies and they are a major source of entertainment.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ornithologists, what happened here?

Although not an ornithologist, I am a biologist and I have a pretty good idea what is going on. There is a common and similar phenomenon seen in monkeys who eat fermented fruit. It could be that your nectar has fermented and your hummingbirds, for lack of a better description, are on the sauce. We only fill ours up half way as we were having a similar problem. It is fun to watch them dogfight...

xtraham

Lieutenant

JB, my sister has degrees in animal husbantry and is a manager at a chicken reserch farm, she also has a strong intrest in humming birds, I asked her about your problem here is her reply....

From everything I've learned or read ... this sounds typically normal for hummers when the weather cools suddenly. Sometimes, Hummers will actually bump each other so hard in aggression to show who's the 'boss' that they can knock each other out for a matter of seconds. Another thing is the wet, cool weather ... hummers aren't used to a sudden cool down, and their body will go into a sorta' hyperthermic condition ... when they're wet, they're even heavier, so it causes them to fall more rapidly looking like they just went down like a rock. Before it's time for the hummers to fly away to warmer climate, and our weather cools suddenly, it's best to make sure the hummer feed is tepid ... like a mother warms her baby's milk .... that will help the hummer's body maintain a little extra warmth it needs. Cool water will cool a bird's body (any bird) quickly, and they take a chill ... so if the feed is out in 60 degree weather, the feed will cool down, the hummer will chill, and go into a sudden hyperthermic reaction, but it doesn't kill it. Like the person said in the note, they appear stunned for a few seconds and then they're ok. So it's normal .... but they can help by making sure the feed is a tepid temperature .... I stress again, like a mother warms her babies milk - not warm ! not cold ! not hot ! You know what I mean. Hope this helps.

JB

That helps a lot, Xtraham, and it is a big relief. Thanks. :)

Yes, our weather has cooled and it was misting a bit last night. Around here this year 75 is a big cool down. I am confident that the nectar was between 75 and 80*

I am sure that the nectar is not fermented. They empty all three feeders in a day (5lb of sugar a week!).

Thanks for the info.

xtraham

Lieutenant

you are welcome, hope your little buddies stay well........

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Jb or anyone for that matter. This is our first year with Hummingbirds. Bought a couple of feeders. I have loved the entertainment! Question, We have been purchasing hummingbird food from Lowes as I read that sugar is not that good for them. I must be wrong if JB is pumping 5LBS a week down em. How do you mix it? Do you add red coloring?

Any help would be appreciated as I am down to my last feeder full. I know they will be leaving soon but I want them to have a nice send off so they come back again next year.

Thanks
Dan

JB

Sugar is fine, Dan. People who sell the prepared mix will tell you sugar is not good. My bird book says sugar is fine. Been doing that for about 15 years.

I mix it 1:4 with hot water and stir at least a minute.

I usually add a drop of color, red, blue or yellow, to a pint of nectar for my own entertainment. More than that might not be good for the hummers depending on what chemicals the coloring contains.

The birds have shown no preference for the colored nectar, nor for any particular color.

They do put on a grand show. No matter how bummed I might be I can't watch them for ten minutes without smiling.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a great forum!!

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just need to express myself every so often :':)':)'(

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know Xtraham, cold nectar related hypothermia just doesn't sound right, especially since the incident occured during the evening rather than the morning and that JB stated that the nectar was between 75 and 80 degrees. I read somewhere that hummingbirds are at risk for 'temporary' cold nectar related hypothermia primarily in the morning.

For those new to hummers, they eat bugs for protein & nutrition; the nectar is what 'fuels' their ridiculously fast metabolism. I've read that they make it through the night by feeding heavily on nectar at dusk and that they also go into a kind of semi-hibernation state while they sleep (metabolism & heart rate slow wayyyy down). Still, upon awakening.their 'fuel tank' is low, which is why they swarm to nectar first thing in the morning.

If it was a cold night they would need the nectar even more upon awakening since they burned more 'fuel' during the night to keep warm (in spite of the semi-hibernation state). The combination of an even more depleted fuel tank upon awakening, the increased need for nectar to keep warm because of the cold air temp, and the fact that the nectar is going to be coldest first thing in the morning is what would provide the greatest risk of temporary 'cold-nectar' hummer hypothermia. The cold nectar is gonna cool the birds core temperature a bit before it can metabolize it into fuel to keep warm.

After a cold night I don't think you'd need to 'warm' (even tepid) the nectar before the birds hit it in the morning, I bet room temp would be just fine. Still, bringing in the feeders at night & putting them back out in the morning before they feed wouldn't be very practical for most people (impossible for me). One suggestion I've heard is to take the perches off the feeders if it's gonna be a cold night. With no perches they have to hover in order to drink, which will heat them up and help offset the effect of the cold nectar temperature.

I've read a fair bit about hummers, but am certainly no ornithologist, so I'd be guessing what happened with your birds, JB. Given that 4 dropped at once, the fermented nectar theory would have seemed to make alot of sense, except that you had just put in fresh nectar. Having 4 drop at once from collisions seems like it would be possible but unlikely. My guess would be either a) the exhaustion theory, i.e., they were expending alot of energy to get at the nectar but weren't able to or b) one of the feeders might have been 'contaminated'. Probably wouldn't take long for that to happen if it was really hot. Were the downed birds all under 1 particular bottle? How often do you clean the feeders & bottles? Do you boil the water before you mix in the sugar?

I suspect I don't have quite as many hummers as JB, but I get ALOT. I was going through just under 2 quarts of nectar a day during mid-late summer. Impossible to count the number of hummers I've got because it looks like a beehive at times. Best I could do was estimate 20+ hummers buzzing two feeders I have hanging about 6 feet apart. I'm sure there were more in the trees I couldn't see. I keep a third feeder around a corner of the house, out of sight of the other 2 so one bird can't 'guard' all of them at once. It got to the point where it was such a pain to keep the feeders full I modified 2 of my feeders so that I could use a 2 liter soda bottle with them instead of the 30 ounce bottle they came with.

They can be aggressive little buggers, but I've seen 7 birds feeding off of a 4 port feeder at the same time. Two hummers were simultaneously drinking from a 'flower' at each of 3 ports, with a single bird at the fourth one. It's neat to see two birds drinking from the one flower hole at the same time. Wonder if it might have something to do with being from the same family or just that their hunger has overridden their territorialism at that point (happens most when I have only 1 feeder out 'cause it's early in the year or I'm cleaning/ filling the other feeder).

Here are some of the things I've read from various sources:

Homemade nectar (1 part sugar to 4 parts water) is actually better for hummers than the store bought kind because it doesn't have food coloring. Colored nectar doesn't do anything to help draw hummers, and the food coloring can be bad for them. Boil the water vigorously for 3-5 minutes before mixing in the sugar. Sterilizes the water which probably helps the nectar keep longer, and makes disolving the sugar very easy. I have well water, and sometimes when it smells kind of funky I use filtered water rather than water directly from the tap (I've got a gallon Pure water filter dispenser that I use for myself instead of buying bottled water).

The nectar will keep in the fridge for a week or even a little longer, but it's recommended that you change the nectar in the feeder if it starts to become cloudy or you see anything growing on the inside of the bottle. How long it lasts is probably directly related to how hot it is & how much direct sunlight it gets each day. Most sources recommend changing every 3 days, but unless I get very hot weather, I've had no problem with going 5 or 6 days between changes.

Wash your feeder(s) regularly. Use a bottle brush where needed. Get one of those 'mini' brushes to clean out the feeder port holes.

Never use an artificial sweetener or honey to make nectar. These can kill the birds.

You can make your nectar stronger than 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, but the hummers will drink less of it. This can be a good thing if you're going to be away for a bit & can't refill the feeders as quickly as they would ordinarily need it. The 1-4 ratio is what is usually recomended as being closest to natural nectar, but in reality the strength of nectar varies in different flowers from which the birds feed. Bottom line is that they need X amount of sugar calories from nectar for fuel. If the nectar mix has a higher sugar ratio, they'll need less nectar to get the same amount of calories than from a mix with a lower sugar ratio. I'd never go less than 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, and probably no stronger than 1 part sugar to 2 parts water (I think that's about the range of natural nectar in different flowers; wish I had bookmarked the site where I read the differences in nectar strength from different flowers).

Bees & wasps are supposedly more attracted to yellow on your feeder than to red. Don't know why and can' t personally confirm this, but I did read it somewhere.

JB, sounds like you might be oversaturated with hummers given your feeder set-up. Next year you may want to think about going to a 1-3 sugar-water mix to cut down on 'demand' a bit and/ or setting up a feeder or two in a seperate area to allow more efficient feeding. Just something to think about given that you've been doing this about twice as long as me, and are obviously very successful.

JB

Thanks for the info, Lakelivin. Very helpful.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB- w.r.t. feeding efficiency: just out of curiosity, how close are your feeders to each other? How much nectar does each hold?

Given the number of hummers you're getting, I also wonder if you may need more than 12 feeding 'ports' (either more feeders or feeders with more ports on them) at your main feeding location, even if you establish another 'station' at a different location around your house....

Also out of curiosity, are there times when you find it to be somewhat of a burden to have so many hummers? Don't get me wrong, the positives outweigh the negatives, but it can get to be a bit of a pain at times for me. Not only does it take a fair amount of time to maintain the feeders, but I take it as a fairly significant reponsibility to make sure that nectar is always available since I 'attracted' so many in the first place. Plus, I don't want to 'lose' too many to another location if my feeders run dry... So, if I have to leave the house for more than a couple of days, I've gotta find someone who's gonna be around and willing to keep the nectar refrigerated and refill the feeders as necessary. I live on the lake full time, but my closest neighbors are all weekend/ second home people who may or may not be here at any point in time.

JB

I had my feeders located about 8' apart, LL.

I have just reduced them to 2 because the transients have headed south. They make up about 75% of the swarm from late August to about the middle of Sept. My "resident" birds are all black chins, where many of the migrants are ruby throats and rufous. The "resident" birds will leave in the next few weeks.

Each of my feeders hold a liter, slightly over a pint, and has four ports. I have removed the perches, as you advise. I will put out more next summer when the swarming time begins.

Yes, it is a burden to keep nectar available during that "swarm" time. It was so hot and so dry this past summer that most of them would have died without it. The closest people who have feeders out are over a mile away, and they keep one feeder. Each of the three feeders needed refilling about each 18 hours, or 12 hours of daylight.

I do not make nectar ahead. Each feeder is scalded and filled with fresh nectar at least daily.

My housekeeper comes daily if I am away to refill the feeders.

The joys and the burdens will return when my flocks of winter resident finches (gold and purple) and titmouses arrive in late October expecting handouts of sunflower seeds. :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live in northern NC & we only get ruby throated hummers. None stay year round, but they sure remember where to come back each year, lol. Most have gone, but I leave feeders out for a while to accomodate any stragglers that might pass by on their migration from further north.

You mentioned that your feeders hold a liter, slightly over a pint. Isn't a liter slightly more than a quart? Either way, given the number of times you have to refill the bottles, have you thought about seeing if a 2 liter soda bottle will screw into your bases? Using the 2 liter bottles has made life alot easier for me once they start swarming 'cause it gets me about 3 days between refills instead of every day.

I made 'holders' for the 2-liter bottles by cutting approx. 3" round holes in red peanut butter lids. The 'doughnut' peanut butter lids fit around the bottom (screw in end) of the soda bottles. Then I drilled 5 equally spaced holes around the outside of the lid and ran thin, plastic coated flexible wire through the drilled holes up the sides of the soda bottle.

I used part of the 'holes' that I cut out of the lid to cut smaller (maybe 2") disks, drilled 5 more equally spaced holes in those, and fed the wires through it to 'stabilize' everything at the top of the holder. Then I connected the wires at the top to an 's' hook which in turn can connect to an ant guard. The holders sllid off of the bottles when I clean & refill or if I want to change out the bottles..

(Five holes, wires, etc. because 2-liter soda bottles have a base comprised of 5 'bumps' that will hold the the wires in place).

I wish I could find large (at least 2 quart) glass bottles that would fit my feeder bases, but no luck yet. I replace the 2 liter bottles every so often with new ones as they tend to degrade in the sun after a while. I also 'double' them up by cutting off the top of a second bottle and sliding the bottom over the intact bottle for a bit more 'stiffness'.

I'm starting to use green 2-liter bottles 'cause I suspect they filter out some of the suns UV rays as compared to clear bottles.

It really does make life alot easier for me to make enough nectar for 5 or 6 days and refrigeratie it. I've had no problems with spoilage, especially since I sterilize the water by boiling it before making the nectar. I keep two 1 gallon glass cider jugs just for storing extra nectar in the refrigerator.

Again, haven't been at this as long as you (about 10 years for me), but I'm still looking for ways to make the whole process less labor intensive as the number of hummers keep increasing!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB-

One more thing I forgot to ask. How cold does it get at night? I'd guess that the 'hypothermia' thing would only come into play if it got pretty cool (I'm guessing at least below 50 or 55 degrees)?

Taking the rests off seems like a compromise between reducing the risk of hypothermia (which I think is temporary and probalby somewhat rare) and feeding efficiency for the birds (i.e., requiring them to use energy to hover while they drink).

Would be interesting to hear from a real expert on that topic.