i want to install a radio in my boat

hydro14

Recruit
i want to install a radio in my boat but im not sure if the battery will die on me while i am out fishing i was wondering if there is any kind of alternater or generator on the engine to keep juice on the batteries and run the radio at the same time . i have a 86 merc elo

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: i want to install a radio in my boat

The outboard has an alternator of sorts built in to the flywheel. Depending on the size of your motor it is most likely about 14 amps, not a fast charger. The best insurance is to have a second battery installed, that way you always have some reserve starting power.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A radio does not draw too much power. The power hungry ones are the high wattage ones or ones with amps. Doesn't your motor charge your battery now? It should keep up with it fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use the ones from ebay, Maxxima, you can get the for less than $20.00 including shipping. they are decents radios, with tape deck, nothing fancy, just music. i've been using one for 2 years. another for 6 months, the 3rd got salt sprayed and rain on in the keys, and being replace, (my fault). i use a group 27 1050 amp starting battery, and have never had a problem, running the radio and vhf, at the same time.