milky oil

picker523

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found milky oil in my lower unit on my mercruiser and I understand this means there's a leak somewhere in the seals but is there any way to tell which ones and should I replace them all? It's a 1987 glastron and I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced. Picker

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: milky oil

As it could be a seal, there is also the possiblity that the bellows for the input shaft has a hole in it. Pull the drive and check. Water can get in as the input shaft seal does not keep water out, it keeps oil in. Another common place is the propshaft seal. Pull off the prop and look for fishing line or something wrapped and cutting the seal there. There are also seals between the upper and lower. If it were mine and there was nothing obvious, reseal the unit. A lot cheaper than replacing it.

picker523

Petty Officer 2nd Class

searay3 said:
As it could be a seal, there is also the possiblity that the bellows for the input shaft has a hole in it. Pull the drive and check. Water can get in as the input shaft seal does not keep water out, it keeps oil in. Another common place is the propshaft seal. Pull off the prop and look for fishing line or something wrapped and cutting the seal there. There are also seals between the upper and lower. If it were mine and there was nothing obvious, reseal the unit. A lot cheaper than replacing it.

picker523

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don said:
A pressure and vacuum check is the best and easiest way to locate a leak.
Check out this link for further info.

http://www.mercstuff.com/milkyoil.htm

I got the outdrive off and discovered water in the driveshaft bellows. The u joints are a little rusty but don't seem to have any slack. How do you get the bell housing off to change the bellows? how do get to the seal behind the ujoints..and do need to change it?