25 HP Merc dying when shifting or under load

dlandon

Cadet
I have a 1996 25 HP Merc that is dying when it is put under load or when shifting. I've check the carb and it seems to be working fine and spark is good. Any suggestions?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 HP Merc dying when shifting or under load

Fuel starvation, period. You need fuel to feed that extra work and are not getting it. Could be clogged fuel filter, or carb jets, or could be too lean a setting on your low speed jet on the carb or more serious things.

Mark

dlandon

Cadet

Texasmark said:
Fuel starvation, period. You need fuel to feed that extra work and are not getting it. Could be clogged fuel filter, or carb jets, or could be too lean a setting on your low speed jet on the carb or more serious things.

Mark

dlandon

Cadet

That's what I thought, so I rebuilt the fuel pump and carb just as a maintenance item, and it runs even worse now. Can't keep it running at low rpm's. I've checked and rechecked everything and all appear correct. I've done a number of these and never run into something like this. I'm getting good spark and 90 psi on both cylinders. The initial problem occured all of a sudden, so I'm a little perplexed. Could it be the reeds? Any other suggestions.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Go over to the OMC site and call up Dhadley. He's good on answering that question about reeds. Your 90 psi sounds a bit soft even though Merc won't publish actuals.

Mark