How some people distort articles [or five ways to slant, and distort an article.

treedancer

Commander
I started this post to try to let some of the people on the forum know that when they slant and distort articles it would be a good idea to do there homework.

1. Name a senator who compared our troops to Nazi’s?

Answer = Senator Richard Turbin Durbin.

Here’s an excerpt, I have also included a link so you can read all of it.

If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners.

http://durbin.senate.gov/gitmo.cfm

2. Who called our soldier MURDERERS before they were even charged with a crime?

Answer= Jack Murtha, Liberal, Also failed to attend a homecoming of troops from his state being cycled home because he was making anti-troop statements.

With this background, I’ll not question his insight but will let it play itself out.

After his discharge from active duty, Murtha reenlisted and volunteered to serve in Vietnam in 1966-67, where he won two purple hearts, a Bronze Star with Combat "V" and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry.

3. Who called our troops TERRORISTS before any were even charged with a crime? Hint, he wanted to be president....

Answer = John War Hero Kerry, like the hint wasn't enough? But perhaps you can enlighen us how calling our troops terrorists really does support our troops.

John Kerry was on "Face The Nation” being interviewed by Bob Schieffer,on , December 05, 2005,this is his statement that the right, has been putting out that he has stated that our troops are “TERRORISTS”.
And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs.

This has to be one of the biggest stretches in the long list of distortions that I have seen in a long while. If so we must have lot of law enforcement officers that qualify as terrorist for just doing their jobs. How can anybody take that statement to mean that Sen. Kerry is calling our troops Terrorist? Another right wing distortion of the truth. It seems nothing will deter them from trying to get their distorted message across .

4. Who called our president and CIC a liar and a bag man for "BIG OIL"? Hint, its hard to get this one wrong.......... I'll make it easier, what side of the political spectrum would all of them be from?

Answer= E) John War Hero Kerry, like the hint wasn't enough? .

I think I would rather be called a bagman than called a
murder.

Here’s something to think about. Remember the uproar that this caused in the right wing circles.

Quote, Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines [Just so you know, we’re ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas.”] BoyO boy did that cause about two weeks of scorn on the hate radio circuit against Chicks for saying that.

when Jerry Falwell was selling these tapes not a peep.Reverend Jerry Falwell, regularly peddled a tape on his Old Time Gospel Hour, which—among many other things, accused the president of the United States of murder. When it came to Clinton, it was all systems go—you could even accuse him of murder! But when it comes to Bush, new rules apply.What a bunch of hypocrites .

5. Who published a story that was TOTALLY FALSE about our troops abusing Korans?

Answer= Michael Isikoff, Newsweek, 14 people died in resulting riots due to his lack of balance and proper research

Granted fourteen people died because of what Michael Isikoff wrote,that is small compared to what was started by the lies that got us into Iraq. It seems that America is losing about five hundred troops a day to death and injuries due to a bunch of made up the lies and distorted figures that the neo-cons put out to get us into Iraq.,

The Man Who
Sold The War
Meet John Rendon, Bush's
General In The Propaganda War

Rolling Stone (Nov. 17, 2005),

Excerpt

Chalabi was a curious choice to lead a rebellion. In 1992, he was convicted in Jordan
of making false statements and embezzling $230 million from his own bank, for
which he was sentenced in absentia to twenty-two years of hard labor. But the only
credential that mattered was his politics. "From day one," Rendon says, "Chalabi was
very clear that his biggest interest was to rid Iraq of Saddam." Bruner, who dealt with
Chalabi and Rendon in London in 1991, puts it even more bluntly. "Chalabi's primary
focus," he said later, "was to drag us into a war."

Read all about it here.

http://www.nogw.com/download/2005_meet_john_rendon.pdf

If bush supporters think the Iraq war has made us safer, then they don’t understand terrorism, they don’t understand al-Qaida, they don’t understand what has happened over the last five years and cannot be trusted with America’s security. Had we not invaded Iraq, al-Qaida would have been destroyed by now.

No im not into running out on the war that Bush started, im dedicated to letting the iraq army or whatever it is take a lions share of the grunge work. We’ve done what we can, we can provide logistical, and air support, expertise and consultation, in their reconstruction. But let them do the patrolling of there streets. We sure don’t need to provide 130,000 targets.

How about a little more commitment to homeland security, we have some very porous borders, sure would be nice to take care of that. A lot of undocumented , in our country sure would be nice to check out who they are. How about putting some teeth in the hiring of illegals, seems to me that should take some of the heat off of the borders, if there were no jobs for them to come too,if they did not have legal status.

Careful I’ve got some chum scattered about.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: How some people distort articles [or five ways to slant, and distort an arti

Re: How some people distort articles [or five ways to slant, and distort an arti

Is your topic about Dan Rather? Or the other main stream media? I would have thought so.
Of couse I didn't bother reading it, I might get the facts. And that would scare the he double hockey sticks out of me if I faced the facts.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Liberals make me laugh. They just don't get it. Even when put under their noses.

Yea, Murtha called them murderers, but 40 years ago he carried a rifle so all is well. This is called a rationalization. It still doesn't explain how this supports the troops. Failed to answer that as that is the point.

Yea Turbin did compare our troops to Nazi's but that is just an "inconvenient truth". And this helped the troops how? Failed to answer that. Why don't we find a holocost suvivor and ask them how they feel about the comparison of Gitmo to a concentration camp. Any ovens at gitmo? AC available in concentration camps? Did the Jews get to practice their religion 5 times a day, and did they get three gourmet meals a day or did they starve. Any experimental medical procedures performed on the terrorists? Piles of dead bodies? You have to be joking.

Yea Kerry called our troops terrorists, but he is a War Hero???? This helped our troops how. Failed to answer that. What kind of an idiot would use the word terrorist in defining our troops actions. I also find it creative how you choose to use Murtha's military history to support his subversive statements yet completely omitted Kerrys historical support (non support) of our troops. Ghingis Khan...................... You are joking right?

Yea, a LIE was published and people died, but heck you don't know any of them so lets deflect that fact with some unrelated issues. Note, it is a comment on the state of media today, your comment responded to that how???? But your title says it all, distortion.

Thanks for supporting the points with specific links. Really, thank you for making my point.

I would have to think that our troops would appreciate a little less liberal "support" of their mission.:% Their job is tough enough the way it is.

Treedancer you completely forgot to answer the real kicker, name one statement by liberal democrats that supported a specific actions or success by our troops. You still have a couple of weeks. Good Luck.

treedancer

Commander

U.S. Senate Floor Statement by Sen. **** Durbin on Guantanamo Bay

This is Durbans statement.

If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control.

This is Pointers reply.

Yea, Murtha called them murderers, but 40 years ago he carried a rifle so all is well. This is called a rationalization.

Makes my point of how you try to distort, I believe that any body reading that will see that he is quoting an FBI agents report but your attributing it to Sen.Durban. Blatant distortion.

How is reading a report from an FBI agent on the senate floor hurting our troops in Iraq? If your there dodging IEDS, your sure not concerned about what the he|| some old man is saying on the floor of the US Senate. All you want to do is get thru this tour of duty alive, and make it back to you unit in one piece. Believe me everyone over there can quote you to the hour, when there tour is up, not a damn one cares what is said on the Senate floor. It seems that the only ones that care what is said on the senate floor is politicians that are running for reelections, and them that are worried about getting there “buds” in power reelected. They will distort any truths, make false accusations, defame any body, smear anyone to stay in power. It matters not that the people they are smearing served honorably in the service of there country, lost family members in combat, they stand on the sidelines waving the “same flag” this Senator fought and won two purple hearts, a Bronze Star with Combat "V" with this phony Facade of patriotism only to get there fellow neo-cons reelected. But they will be sure to say this retort “well I thank you for your service” to your country, all the while trying to undercut the Constitution Of the United States. Every time I hear that coming from some neo-con I feel like puking.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You love that bold feature, don't you? Try the italics. You'll really be able to go crazy.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes That is what Spin Doctors do

treedancer

Commander

Yeh, one of these days maybe ill learn how to use the [colour=red]crayola feature.

QC

Supreme Mariner

POINTER94 said:
Liberals make me laugh

I just knew they were good for something. Thanks.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Lets help the liberals:

Murtha, a vocal opponent of the war in Iraq, said at a news conference Wednesday that sources within the military have told him that an internal investigation will show that "there was no firefight, there was no IED (improvised explosive device) that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

Now what is killing innocent civilians in cold blood? Eh, murder??????

Now point to me the trial of these troops?

Oh, yea, HOW IS THIS HELPING THE TROOPS?

source for quote: http://www.iowavoice.com/index.php?/archives/2058-Murtha-Vs.-The-Troops...Again.html

treedancer

Commander

Whether you like it or not Pointer more than likely this is the way this will more than likely play out.

On, April 1 only a day after Calley was sentenced, President Richard Nixon ordered him released from prison pending appeal; on, August 20 1971, the convening authority — the Commanding General of Fort Benning — reduced his sentence to 20 years. Next the Army Court of Military Review affirmed the conviction and sentence (46 C.M.R. 1131 (1973)). Next the Secretary of the Army reviewed the sentence and findings and approved both, but in a separate clemency action commuted confinement to ten years. On, May 3, 1974, President Nixon notified the Secretary that he had reviewed the case and determined he would take no further action in the matter.
Ultimately, Calley served 3½ years of house arrest in his quarters at Fort Benning, Georgia. Calley petitioned the Federal district court for habeas corpus on February 11, 1974, which was granted on, September 25, 1974, along with immediate release, by federal judge J.Robert Elliott. Judge Elliott found that Calley's trial had been prejudiced by pretrial publicity, denial of subpoenas of certain defense witnesses, refusal of the House of Representatives to release testimony taken in executive session of its My Lai investigation, and inadequate notice of the charges. (The judge had released Calley on Bail on February 27, 1974, but an appeals court reversed that and returned Calley to Army custody June 13, 1974.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Again, how does calling our troops murderers before they are even charged help the troops? I would be happy to explain how this type of rhetoric hurts our troops. And where exactly is the distortion?

How it plays out is irrelavant to the conversation.

Hey Jack! Simply saying you support our troops just isn't enough.:mad: The man disgraced himself.

treedancer

Commander

Quote Pointer.

Again, how does calling our troops murderers before they are even charged help the troops? I would be happy to explain how this type of rhetoric hurts our troops. And where exactly is the distortion?

Two questions here, ill try to address them in order.

I can’t do much more than speculate on what is going on in Sen. Murthas head, he might have had some flash backs, who knows.

Don’t know your military experience Pointer; the experience of patrolling into hostile territory takes a toll on most troops. You’re taught that when you encounter people on the side of the roadway, or I would imagine it would be streets,in the cities of Iraq. You try to look at the eyes, and facial, expressions to get some kind of clue. When in hostile areas all you see looking back at you is hatred, ifyou’re lucky you will see” indifference”, sometimes when all of the stars are in alignment you can see a friendly face with a very slight heads up bob to tip off dangers ahead. You also get to know Instinctively when things don’t look quite right; I believe in civilian life it is called street sense.

You’re a rather bright lad Pointer, I imagine you all ready know where this is going, will finish it anyway. Put yourself in the boots of the troops that had to be patrolling in the area of the Marines, that are being accused of Murder. They look, and all they are seeing is hatred staring back every step they take.

By the way pointer I’m a veteran of the "Marine Corps” them Marines are from my old division, my old unit being accused of murders makes me so sad. Not the same regiment, but I think that they are part of what used to be called the 1st marine division, seems I heard it called the 1ST Marine expadentry force, are something like that. It got reorganized after I got out; most of them are brother Marines to me. So you can bet I don’t like for them to be called murders, and im sure that Mutrha being an EX Marine fells the same way.

I’ll shorten this up a bit, what im thinking is that Murtha is trying so lesson the chance that other Marines will be attacked by making a big enough stink. I don’t know, but I believe he has some since of honor and is trying in his own way to take some of the pressure off of the remaining troops in the field.

And yes he surely does seem to have a way of putting his foot in his mouth;but I truly believe he thinks he is doing the right thing.

Question number two.
Your right, I was wrong, in saying you distorted "this message", I went ballistic ,shouldn’t get that riled up sorry.

Remember is said this message.

Ok have a nice Holiday and I,ll have this ready when you get back I think you will like it.

Quote Pointer.
Treedancer you completely forgot to answer the real kicker, name one statement by liberal democrats that supported a specific actions or success by our troops. You still have a couple of weeks. Good Luck

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

All respect to you treedancer as you are at least trying to answer the question but that is the most convoluded non-answer I have ever heard. You started this thread about distortion and there is not one shread of evidence to support your excuses for a seasoned military vet, and and a seasoned politician you have tried to put forth.

He is now a full time politician, therefore I would have to believe that his reasons were political. If not, the only other answer is he is a complete idiot. Why not call Kerry a murderer, so the youth of America can learn from it, silly.. His statements were published for the enemy in Al Jezeera, creating greater animous, thus making our troops even bigger targets than they were before. Lets toss in some common sense here, as this transpired after the Koran Abuse story, and that resulted in what? How exactly would a soldier feel his country feels about his service if a member of congress calls your comrads MURDERERS before so much as having charges filed. Public support is important to the success of any mission. I am sure that this really inspired our troops. His comments were inflamitory and consistant with the lunatic left wing of the democratic party. (Howard Dean) There are better ways to get across the message you are suggesting other than calling our troops murderers.

No, I'll stick with my position that the safety of our troops is secondary to some folks political aspirations. That includes whack jobs like Cindy Sheehan, politicians outlined above, "journalists" (ha ha), and intellectuals like Ward Churchill. When distorting reality to meet your agenda is the topic, feel free to cut and paste.
I’ll shorten this up a bit, what im thinking is that Murtha is trying so lesson the chance that other Marines will be attacked by making a big enough stink. I don’t know, but I believe he has some since of honor and is trying in his own way to take some of the pressure off of the remaining troops in the field.

The result was just the opposite. This is NOT supporting our troops. Come on your spin doesn't pass the laugh test. I think in your heart of hearts you already know this. The above mentioned statements are not inconsequential. They most assuradly cost lives, and when a politician puts the lives of our soldiers as secondary to thier agendas, they have no use to our people. It shows true cowardise. And regardless of political stripe should make all of us sick to our stomachs.

BTW, Thank you for your service, you and all veterans, active and reserve duty soldiers deserve only the best. Your loyalty should be our enlisted brethren, not the elected ones. Also no apology needed, your posts are amost always of interest to me, even though we rarely see things the same way. I took no offense, but thank you for your courtesy. You and I will read from the same sheet if you want to address the current administrations treatment of military benenfits. But that is another thread.8)

I hope you have a great holiday as well! I am sure we all can all use a good relaxing time with family and friends.

treedancer

Commander

1.Senator Richard Turbin Durbin
Making the statement that a United States Senator, compared our troops Nazis when he was reading from a FBI agents report. Then you add that Turbin nickname that always adds credibility to the statement doesn’t it?

{Looks distorted to me.}

2. Who called our soldier MURDERERS before they were even charged with a crime?

I still can’t think that a decorated Marine could be trying to hurt troops by making some statements. There has to be more to it than has come out.

3. Who called our troops TERRORISTS before any were even charged with a crime? Hint, he wanted to be president...

Quote John Kerry on "Face The Nation” being interviewed by Bob Schieffer,on , December 05, 2005

Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs.

{Rousting people out of bed is terrorism? That’s a bit of a stretch?}

I’ll have to go with distorted on this one.

4. Who called our president and CIC a liar and a bagman for "BIG OIL"? Hint, it’s hard to get this one wrong.......... I'll make it easier, what side of the political spectrum would all of them be from?

I believe John Kerry was referring to these statements that president Bush said to get us into Iraq wasn’t he?

Quote.
In a press conference Monday, President Bush said that the "main reason" America "went into Iraq" was that "we thought he had weapons of mass destruction." In his next breath, in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, he links Saddam Hussein with 9-11, imagining him "stirring up even more trouble in a part of a world that had so much resentment and so much hatred that people came and killed 3,000 of our citizens."

Here’s what he ignored.
CBS said the CIA's intelligence source was former Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri and that former CIA Director George Tenet delivered the information personally to US President George W Bush, Vice President **** Cheney and other top White House officials in September 2002. They rebuffed the CIA three days later.

This is what the President said later.
Direct quote from President Bush.

Now, look, I -- part of the reason we went into Iraq: was -- the main reason we went into Iraq: at the time was we thought he had weapons of mass destruction. It turns out he didn't, but he had the capacity to make weapons of mass destruction.

I think slanted would not be too strong a word would it?
{I think I’ll call this one slanted.}

Pointer I think I will stay pat on this post. We can agree to disagree on this one, but I imagine we can agree on porous border issues, you would most likely be a bit surprised on my thoughts on taxes. Think fair tax.
http://fairtax.org/research.html

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

As much as I posted initially assuming all politically aware members of society knew the answers to what I thought were rhetorical questions, my answers were worded as such as the person asking spent the better part of the last 18 months doing nothing, I mean nothing but bashing the republican party and the war, while supporting these idiots that claim to support the troops. If you think that taking away style points detracts from the point then sobeit.

Seriously Durbin COMPARED our troops to Nazis, Stalin, Pol Pot, the quote is UNDENIABLE. Spin it, shake it, twist it any way you want. He chose the report, He chose the words used, He put it in the press, He created the situation. Politics with soldiers lives should make you angry, why are you not?

Murtha called members of our military yet charged, MURDERERS, his rational is meaningless. The statement itself is inflamitory and anti-American. Get over looking for excuses there is no senario that can be played out to make his comments acceptable.

We are at war with TERRORISTS and Kerry calling our troops (or their actions terroristic) the same as what they are at war against is unforgivable. DISGUSTING. If I said you like to molest children and then claimed I didn't call you a child mostester, that is splitting hairs. Maybe you can live with that, I can't. If you can tap dance on that pin, go right ahead.

I don't think I can think of a liberal who didn't claim this war was for oil, when the focus groups indicated that it played to the base. Facts be damned. I have no idea how your previous post address this in any way. Bush didn't claim the war was for oil, Liberal Democrats did.

You would have to question the motives, thought process, heck the size of ones brainpan when using words like Nazi, Terrorist, Murderer when referring to our troops. If you cannot see this, no amout of posting will change that. Think about it, we are fighting TERRORISTS and calling, referring, alluding to, comparing with, drawing parallels to, our troops with terrorists, nazis, pol pot, murderers (without so much as a charge), stalin, is by definition not in the best interest of our fighting troops. They were sad attempts by pathetic examples of public servants who don't mind being quoted in Al Jezzera if it bolsters their opinion rating with the base. I would like nothing more than to punch these disgusting pukes in the face. And as an Marine, you should have to be held back as well.

As this is part of the question, how did any of these comments "SUPPORT THE TROOPS?"

Also included in the initial post was a request for one positive comment by a liberal democrat regarding a specific action or accomplishment performed by our troops. I think you still have about three weeks of the allotted month to find one. Good luck. The fact that you will have to search for some kind of quote speaks volumes. If you had one off the top, you would have posted it. Sad, shameful, pathetic. But that is todays liberal democratic party. So they support the troops? Talk is cheap.

To call my post slanted/distorted but give these elected fools some kind of pass shows a considerable bias that I am convinced I cannot overcome.

Supporting the troops should be more than just words, it should be a mindset and a guiding force in the decisions one makes. I can't find a liberal in Washington outside of Leiberman who has made even a token gesture towards supporting our troops.

We may have to agree to disagree, but our troops are the ones who get to carry the burden for irresponsible comments and political gamesmanship.:'(

rottenray6402

Ensign

My 2cents worth is if we were fighting WW2 at this time we would lose miserably. Murtha at one time may have been a highly decorated Marine and for that I thank him. It would seem at this point he is a political hack that sold his soul and integrity to the democratic party for a hand ful of votes. We have a similar but a little more crafty one called McCain.