newbie with project boat, need imput

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all, I just purchased a 1988 Funliner 18 foot bowrider with a 3.0 mercruiser and a alpha one outdrive. I bought it with a new motor set in place but nothing was hooked up. After finally getting it running last weekend I realized I am in a bind now.
I have 3 cables back by the motor with no bracket to hook them too. What kind of lever, bracket set up does it use? does anyone have any pics of what it should use? And finally, where can I find one of these?

one last request,.... does anyone have information on funliner boats?
model #'s production #'s etc

thanks
Russ

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: newbie with project boat, need imput

Are they the shift cables?....JK

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like shift and throttle cables...
can you get in touch with the person who put the engine in? Sounds like your missing a bunch of parts...

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

Pics are worth a thousand words.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I honestly think the man I got the boat from has dropped off the face of the earth :)
I know the cables in question are the throttle cable and shift cable coming from the controller at the drivers seat, and the other one goes from the motor into the out drive. I think I need a lever type device that mounts on top of the valve cover that controls it all but I am not sure. Thanks for the help... Russ

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess the first thing you need to buy for your project is a Mercruiser service manual, not an aftermarket, but the original OEM manual The one you need is book #10 if you look on ebay, if you order one from your local Mercruiser dealer, you want part number 90-14693--1.
That is for your engine the drive manual is #6, part number 90-12934--2.
Without them, you stand little chance of getting it all to work, and KEEP working correctly. You're still going to have questions, but with the manual you will at least know what to ask about.
Also, here is a link to and online drive manual (nothing for the engine)

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

get the manuals and post some pictures, a new motor statement is rather useless unless your positive it was a factory new direct replacement.
over the years merc used several different attachment points and shift brackets on the 2.5 and 3.0 4 cylinders.
the model of what you have and which manifold you have will determine which set up you need.
however I may have a deal for you :)

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am convinced it is a 3.0 mercruiser replacement motor. I will get pics tomorrow and get the serial number off the block too.. hope it will help, thanks,
Russ

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

got the numbers for you.... it is a 3.0 with serial number B523238. Hope ths helps, I am really hoping to get the right parts and have this thing going in a couple weeks... Thanks again for the help... Russ

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With that serial number, It's a 1987 model year for the engine, and it is a 3.0L. But shows it was actually installed in a 17' GLASSTREAM. Funliner may have been the model name, the hull ID number was GSY17418I687 and may very well be the same boat.
Your best bet to find the CORRECT part number for parts for YOUR engine, is to use the Mercruiser parts express site. You can look up all the parts using your engine serial number. (You need to put a zero (0) in front of the B523238 for the complete number) then just look up your parts. You don't have to order from them, but it sure is nice to get up-to-date part number info and parts breakdowns. Here's the link to parts express.
Don't forget about the service manuals, without them you will never get it to work....... Trust me.

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/HomePage/homepage.asp?CID=

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

DON S, thank you for the info. At least now I know what the motor came out of. The motor was rebuilt and installed in a 1988 funliner, ( made by maverick sport boats I believe ). MY hull # is AILAA102K888. I still am not sure about what throttle and shift linkages I need for my appliction since there seems to be 3 different versions of it for my year. Plus some of the parts are no longer available, looks I need to find a complete used set somewhere. Thank you... Russ