How Much $$$

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I do all the work myself over the summer, how much would it cost me to replace the transom, floor and stringers in a 17' low-profile outboard ski boat. BTW, I want to avoid using WOOD. I like the look of Seacast as a way to repair transoms and stringers.

http://www.transomrepair.com/index.html

For the floor I'd like to use Kevlar. Thanks for any reply!

TG

crunch

Commander
Re: How Much $$$

LOL... estimates run all over... can you take out a 2nd mortgage on your home?

Just kidding 8) I'm doing mine on the cheep, just doing what has to be done to make it sea worthy and the mods I WANT... the I wants get spendy.

Kevlar, Seacast, and whatever you think you want to replace the floor with are all spendy, but maybe quicker and easier... (Kevlar?.. are you anticipating incoming? )

Wood, properly treated and installed will last longer than you and me, it's just these shortcut boat manufactures that turn that around... can you spell "turnover"?

Read some threads, especially the one with pics or links to projects, look at the Ideas, do a cost analysis, pick less expensive materials, and do a cost/benefit thing.

Hope this helps,
Crunch

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, Crunch. Love the name! LOL!

Yeah, as I look at things I'm starting to like the idea of a wood transom and floor. But the Seacast system looks SUPER easy for stringers, and will NEVER rot.

TG

crunch

Commander

Don't know anything about Seacast, and I probably should (sigh... all that edjucation stuff again d:)

But seriously, I work construction as a contractor, and all of the synthetics sound good on paper, but suck in the real world (don't get me started on Trex or Hardi-board) :devil:

Properly sealed wood is stronger and will last your life.

My 2 cents (deflated in the currant world market to a 1/10 th penny)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

blanchebeachcraft said:
If I do all the work myself over the summer, how much would it cost me to replace the transom, floor and stringers in a 17' low-profile outboard ski boat. BTW, I want to avoid using WOOD. I like the look of Seacast as a way to repair transoms and stringers.

TG

Just try some marine grade plywood, West systems resin, 8lb foam, biaxle tape, and if you have the skill's to do it right it will out last you...........:devil:

$1200.00

crunch

Commander

Tail_Gunner said:
blanchebeachcraft said:

TG

Just try some marine grade plywood, West systems resin, 8lb foam, biaxle tape, and if you have the skill's to do it right it will out last you...........:devil:

$1200.00

$1200... are you serious? why marine grade?... the guy aint working on the hull, just the transom... a good AB 5ply laminated up to size would work just as well (2x 1/2 ") Marine grade plywood is out-of-sight as far as this application goes... but what do I know...

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, Crunch, what's wrong with Trex? I put it on my deck and just put a piece in my 1961 Larson Sea Lion. Figured it wouldn't rot. Understand about Hardi-board. Had one of their expensive roofs put on and it lasted 7 years. Would like to see you make captain so we could address you as Capt. Crunch. Seriously, would you email me at Lootas 1 so we can talk Larson restoration? My '61 is just getting started.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lootas1 said:
Hey, Crunch, what's wrong with Trex? I put it on my deck and just put a piece in my 1961 Larson Sea Lion. Figured it wouldn't rot. Understand about Hardi-board. Had one of their expensive roofs put on and it lasted 7 years. Would like to see you make captain so we could address you as Capt. Crunch. Seriously, would you email me at Lootas 1 so we can talk Larson restoration? My '61 is just getting started.

Oops. That's Lootas1@juno.com. Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I used AB and AC plywood in my projects and it worked fine for transom, stringers and floor. Seal with epoxy and it is good to go.

My 15-foot Starcraft American received, transom, floor, stringers, carpet, seats and new upholstery. Spent about $1200-$1400 total, but for all intents and purposes, it is a brand new boat, and likely better than it ever was new!

My 18-footer, in progress, will probably eat up a bit more than that, but will also be better than new.

- Scott

crunch

Commander

Lootas1 said:

Ever pick up a 12' 2x6 trex?... you can't lift it high enough to get the ends off the ground. It has no structural strength. Trex recommends you put the floor joists at 16" centers. I’ve found that you have to go 12" centers or the decking will start to sag over time, coupled with the cost of that stuff it just ain’t worth it.

I looked up the 61 Larson Sealion on their site, do you have the flying bridge?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

custombycrunch said:
Tail_Gunner said:
blanchebeachcraft said:

TG

$1200.00

$1200... are you serious? why marine grade?... the guy aint working on the hull, just the transom... a good AB 5ply laminated up to size would work just as well (2x 1/2 ") Marine grade plywood is out-of-sight as far as this application goes... but what do I know...

Me to...............but with a bad transom what are the chances of it ending there.Maybe im just jaded here but, once the transom's off then and the whole picture is displayed......:}

However i wish you the best and good luck..8)