water pump working?

pepe

Recruit
Hi Merc Enthusiasts,
I recently bought a 1964 Merc 500 and need to know where to look for the telltale discharge of the water pump. I've got it set up in a tank and all I see is some indication of water drops exiting the exhaust. Can someone help me, please?
Pepe

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: water pump working?

Not certain but I think that year Merc had water discharge through the prop hub? Someone else will set me straight if I'm wrong. If you pull the top cowl/cover while its running and can comfortably touch the side of the water jackets surrounding the cylinders it's pumping enough water. If you can't touch and hold your hand there due to heat, something is amiss...maybe time to redo the water pump...probably a good idea if you don't know the maintenance history of this outboard.

pepe

Recruit

tmcalavy said:
Not certain but I think that year Merc had water discharge through the prop hub? Someone else will set me straight if I'm wrong. If you pull the top cowl/cover while its running and can comfortably touch the side of the water jackets surrounding the cylinders it's pumping enough water. If you can't touch and hold your hand there due to heat, something is amiss...maybe time to redo the water pump...probably a good idea if you don't know the maintenance history of this outboard.

pepe

Recruit

Hi Senior Chief,
Thanks for responding. I took your advice and left the cowl off while running and periodically touched the water jacket on either side of the powerhead. It remained cool to the touch. Then the water began to spray from the pee hole. It is an 1/8 inch hole on the lower left side and at the rear of the powerhead (facing engine). It is also on the bottom edge of the powerhead so you have to be looking up to spot the hole. My pump is working and the discharge is clearly visible when the engine is running.
Thanks, EA2, MCB 7, Pepe

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It just had to wait for the thermostat to open.