How hard is it?

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i took my boat to the mechanic to get the problems looked at. Here are the problems the mechanic told me:

1 The steering cable is bad, and the steeringwheel keyway is broke.

2 The power tilt trim electrical stuff is fine so he needs to pull the engine off the boat so he can take apart the hydraulic tubes and what not.

3 The starter gear teeth are worn badly

Now Im a mechanic I went to college for auto tech I've turned wrenches on cars forever. BUT i know nothing about boats this is the first one I've ever had im wondering how much of this work I can do myself scale of 1 to 10 how hard are these? The starter looks like no prob but what about the rest? he's gonna charge a whole lot of money if I have it done. thanks josh

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: How hard is it?

No rocket science in the items you mentioned. Of course if the motor does have to come off the boat for service, you will need to have means of lifting it.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its a salt water boat it may have corrosion issues but overall it looks like it may be a little more difficult than basic maintenance but not as tough as a rebuild.

I would ask What is wrong with the power trim.
if the electrical stuff is fine i am assuming there must be an issue with the hydraulics?

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am neither a mechanic or have any formal training except for watching my dad work on engins while growing up. But I can tell you that number 1 & 3 should be a no brainer, I did them both myself. Concepts are all the same...... The steering cable should cost about $50 - $100 from a surplus store and the starter gear shoud be around $30...good luck.

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

are there any websites where I can buy the parts?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Do some browsing, maybe post a question or two over in the "Boat topics & questions" and/or "Boat restoration and rebuilding"...there's nothing on a boat that a determined do-it-yourselfer can't fix. (almost)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

josh - You will get far better input if you tell us what engine you have - yr? - - hp?

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its an evinrude 85 horse i dont know the year or model how can i find that out?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The model number will be on the port side engine mounting bracket, from that we can get the year.