It's ALIVE!!!

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
After working on my 1978 Cobia OMC 2.5L Stringer 400, it's finally running. Buddy and I did the first water trial and had some issues. We've worked on the issues somewhat and I'd like your response on these items:

1) Overheating. The boat was running great at WOT until it began to overheat. We kept a close eye on the temp gauge and let it relax a bit before trying to move again. We found out that it cools fine at idle speeds, but overheats at higher RPM. Our initial thought was that the thermostat was likely stuck. We yanked it and found that a large amount of rust pieces was blocking up the port leading from the thermostat housing to the heads. I cleaned out the thermostat housing and tested the thermostat - it appears fine at this point. The thinking is that the large pieces blocking the hole allowed enough water to cool at idle but not enough to provide cooling for higher rpms. This has a brand new impeller, btw.

Since running yesterday, it seems we've run into some electrical issues

2) The motor wouldn't turn over when I turn the igntion key. I finally touched the solenoid to the positive on the battery and the motor turned over. It seems like I have a short in the ignition wires somewhere? What else is interesting is that now it works from the key after doing this.

3) Along with the ignition issue, now the tilt won't work from the switch. It does work from the solenoid, however. I think it goes hand in hand with the starter acting funny. It doesn't even click.

4) The trim went out altogether. It doesn't even work from the solenoids.

Your thoughts, please.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: It's ALIVE!!!

I'm not an OMC guy but I would change the impeller if ya got one......
I would also go through all of the electrical connections & terminals & make them shiny clean for starters.....
I'm sure that you will get mo' betta feedback from the OMC guys.......JK

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

You need to get in behind your switches/gauges and re-make EVERY connection. Mine was sitting for years (dry) when I got it and after starting system by system, I finally just janked the whole dash unit and did them all one by one. That solved alot of small problems in one fell swoop. 8)

Use dielectric grease if you got it or vaseline if you don't. I've got commercial rooftop units I cleaned up 6-7 years ago and the connections with are still bright and shiny and others were badly oxidized. And I live right on the coast.

KaGee

Admiral

Check out the connections on the starter assist solenoid. Note: that is NOT located on the starter!

speedholes

Seaman Apprentice

Also note that the "trim" is not really trim, but tilt. Trim is adjusted via the nut in front of the motor. DO NOT use the tilt function while the motor is running.

+1 on the impeller, even though it is a total *$)#^ to get to. You have to remove the entire outdrive and disassemble most of it. If you replaced the impeller, but not the housing, that could be the problem as well, a crack maybe.

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

My post clearly says that I have a new impeller.
Actually, it's a whole new impeller and housing.

Also, it says that my tilt acts funny, and my trim went out altogether.

The starter assist soleniod... that's a good one to review. This is different than the starter solenoid, right?

I'm thinking that I might have issues with the tilt soleniods as well. My thinking is that they are weak as opposed to bad. I'll swap them out with the solenoids on the trim as they are brand new. I can live without trim for a while if I have to.

I think it's likely that the trim motor is gone. It was weak even when it worked.

I'm definitely going to remove the entire electrical panel and reconnect everything back there after cleaning it. I'd like to remove the fuses and rplace them with circuit breakers. Does anybody know the exact fuse amp ratings of a 1978 Cobia 18' runabout?

Thanks

KaGee

Admiral

I believe you will find that the tilt and trim solenoids get their power from the assist solenoid, The fact that you have problems with both and starting issues points to issues centered around the assist solenoid. Look for corroded connections, broken or improperly connected wire(s).

And no, it's not to be confused with the Starter solenoid.
On my rig, it's on the same 'tree" as the tilt and trim solenoids. You do have a manual and wiring diagram... don't you?? ;)

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also, make sure the assist solinoid has a good ground connection