Ground on Tach

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been fighting my tach for a few days now, because the light would not work. I tried everything I could think of to get it to working. When I would check the voltage on the tach's light it would only be 1 to 1.5 volts. I ended up taking my tach apart and discovering that the ground trace lead on the pc board was corroded into. So I had no ground to my tach. I soldered a jumper from the terminal to the ground plane. Now the light works. Do you think over two years of no ground on my tack could cause the rectifier to go bad? Also when fixing the tach the needle was moved around. Will the tach reset its self on the correct rpm's?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ground on Tach

If you removed the needle from the shaft, it will very likely not be correct unless you got it back in exactly the same position. If you simply moved the needle it will not be affected as the armature would move with it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Doubt the Tach. would cause rectifier failure. Check your charging system to see if it's putting out. Test voltage at the battery with the motor off and then again with it running at fast idle (1500-2000 RPM's). Should see a difference...

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I didn't remove the needle from the shaft. I just moved it. As far as the charging system, I have the rectifier on order. I ohmed out the stater on all 8 legs, and all is good. I was just trying to figure this out.

Thanks again,
Robert