Dashboard

Water Rat

Cadet
I wanted to get some recommendations concerning what material to use in creating a new dashboard for my gauges. I have an old 1980 Bayliner Cuddy and the plastic dash holding the guages is old, warped, and cracked. I would like to make a new dash to replace it. Have not been able to find anything premade that is even remotely close.

The material must be light weight, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, and must be easily cut and shaped with normal home tools. i.e. drills saber saw, etc.

Wood is the obvious 1st choice, but what kind? And what do you seal it with? I would not mind plastic, but that does not seem readily available and its tougher to work with.

Any recommendations? And if it is something not found at Home Depot please let me know where you can buy it?

Thanks

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Dashboard

We use 3/8 HDPE that we buy in sheets from a local plastics company. It comes in 1/2 and 3/4, too. We use it for plates in between 5th wheels as with it you don't need grease. You can work it pretty much like wood.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

One product that can be used in many places in a boat is King Starboard Starboard can be cut and finished with regular home tools, won't rot and doesn't need to be finished. You can get it here at iBoats iBoats Starboard and at west Marine West Starboard plus I'm sure many others

crunch

Commander

Years ago I worked in a plywood mill and we had a contract with the Japanese to supply indoor paneling (hang in there, this might be an idea for you:)

What they wanted was clear face (no "football"patches or synthetic fill) These were sanded, run through a burner, then wire brushed... they oiled them themselves, beautiful stuff... of course being a handi type of guy (and cheap) I discovered how to do-it-myself.

Cut out a section of 1/2" plywood to the size of the dash, cut in holes for instruments. Using a rosebud on a torch, LIGHTLY burn the surface, LIGHTLY wire brush (you might want to practice on a piece of scrap) then coat with product of choice.

What happens is the heat burns off the soft wood between the grain and makes the grain darker and stand out from the surface (makes a plain piece of wood into a work of art)

You also might want to post this over on the restoration forum... it's right up their alley 8)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's an idea for you, Rat....Get some 1/4" thick clear Lexan (polycarbonate sheet) from HD or Lowes - it works almost as easy as wood BUT it scratches pretty easy. When cutting your shape & openings, coat the whole surface with masking tape (the wider, the better) & layout the lines on the tape. When you're done the machining, you can paint the BACK side any color or pattern you want & it will keep a nice, glossy face - easy to clean & will look great for a long time. Have fun!