MARINE BATTERY HELP??

billhilly

Recruit
BOUGHT USED rANGER BOAT WITH THREE BATTERIES, THE TWO DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES ARE HOOKED UP TO A TWO BANK RECHARGING SYSTEM AND i HAVE RECHARGED AND HAD NO PROBLEMS. HAVE USED FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO PRIMARILY NIGHT BASS FISHING. Last night went out and the boat would not start. The starting battery is an Everstart dual cycle battery. We fished around the dock awhile and then the blacklight and graphs slowly faded to dark..Power trim went dead, etc. Is my starting battery totally dead??? Rechargeable?? Alternator problems?? HELP!!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: MARINE BATTERY HELP??

I'd pull it out and take it to Autozone and have them load test it. Unless of course, you inadvertently left something switched on and it drained it. Throw a charge on it and see how it does if this is the case...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Possible you left the boat key in the "on" position after the previous trip? That'll drain the battery.

If the battery checks out ok, the alternator could be broke. Use a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage with the motor running, should be higher than the battery voltage alone. If it's not, then replace the rectifier. Need help with that just ask.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The boat probably has a voltmeter on the dash. When the engine is running, what does it read?