Control/shift cable broke :( question...

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice
Took my boat out today after tuning her up last night. Performace was great!... but when i got back to the dock was doing some slow speed manuvering and realized i was stuck in reverse. I got the boat out to the water and pulled the cover off the out drive. Manually shifted it into "N" and disconnected the shift cable. Sure enough the cable is broke about 4 inches from the end (outdrive end.)

So now i need to figure out which one to order and replace it. Will the new cable feed through the existing tube or will have to replace the entire thing (I have blue and brown tubes that the look like the "cable"... i am hoping that is more of a feed tube and cable is inside it? Also... i am hoping this is a rather easy job (did this for a friend years ago and i don;t remember it being too complicated... but that was a merc, etc.) Can i just feed the new cable through till it comes out the out drive.. or is this more comlicated (pulling the drive, etc.) thanks.

1999 monterey w/ Volvo Penta 5.0GL/SX

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Control/shift cable broke :( question...

If you only have one helm station and one shifter, then you only have one cable. The cable goes from the drive to the control. No shift interrupt system, no transfer plates, no upper and lower cables. Just a standard Teleflex/Morse cable of the correct length (Sold at Any marine store), and you are good to go.

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. It is a simple setup (19' bow rider) The old cable was 16'. I have disconnected the cable on both ends. but I am not sure if it is fully disconnected from the drive side. The cable enters a rubber tube as it heads down to drive (near the engine.) Should the cable just pull out once it is disconnected control arm on the drive or is the cable sheath also connected somehow? ( i have a repair manual on it's way to me... but i don;t have it yet.)

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice

I just did a bit more looking around. I see where there is a clip on the outdrive holding the cable in place (and Volvo was nice enough to leave an access hole:)) So i am guessing i just remove the clip and pull the cable out (no need to remove the drive or anything like that.) Sound right? Thanks again for your help/time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yep, you found it. Turns out I answered your question on a different post. Here is what I posted there (Since removed)

You have to take the linkage connector and nut off the cable on the drive end, there is also an anchor clip on the starboard side of the pivot housing (The housing the drive bolts to) that holds the outer part of the cable stationary in the drive. Once that is loose, you should be able pull the cable out of the hose attached to the the transom shield inside the boat. The hose is just there to keep water out of the boat.

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! Should the new cable just feed back through the hose? (just push/feed it through?)

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice

Another quick question... I took a rough measurement and thought the old cable was 16" from end to end (threads to threads.) I just took an acurate measurement with a tape measure (with the broken off part of the cable included) and it measured 16' 4.5" grrr... Is the measurement not from end to end? Do i just have really bad measuring talent? (I am about to order a replacement cable and want to make sure i the correct one.) thx.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

You cannot just order the cable, you need the cable and jacket, you do not want to reuse the jacket.

gregtay

Seaman Apprentice

I realize that.. but since they sell the cable (or cable assm'y if you prefer) in whole foot lengths i need to figure out which length to order. I am assuming that the "length" is measured from end to end (of the actual cable, not the jacket or sleeve length.) My old cable seems to be a odd length... so i am guessing i round up to 17"?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yup, a little long is ok a little short is bad