Jonson outboard steering cable

brothermike

Recruit
I have a 1994 Sunbird with a 48 HP Johnson engine. My steering is locked. I can steer the cable out of the motor but the oposite side where the linkage connects is frozen. How can I remove this? Can I just use a hammer and bang it out? How do I remove the cables at the motor. How do they fasten? Thanks brothermike@comcast.net

guywithboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jonson outboard steering cable

brothermike,

The cables do disconnect at the engine. If the cable is not kinked, I would remove it from the sleeve and clean it out. Use some compressed air if you have it. Put some oil in it when your are done.

Good Luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jonson outboard steering cable

Am I reading this right? The cable will steer if the nut is unscrewed from the tilt tube, but the cable end is frozen in the tilt tube? That is one of the most hated predicaments in my book. And it's so unnecessary, if only the motor had been serviced and lubed regularly. They can be very hard if not impossible to get out. Soak it, beat it, do whatever you have to do. But beating on it will more than likely deform the end so it won't go through the tilt tube. More than once, I have had to hacksaw it off and replace tilt tube, cable and all. And the tilt tube can be dang near impossible to get out too. Salt water, huh??