Alpha 1 rebuild

robncath1

Recruit
I have a 1987 Alpha one coupled to a Merc 230. I hit a underwater boulder bent the prop shaft and sheared of the top part of my vertical shaft. The rest of the outdrive was fine. I purchased a used lower gear box to use the two shafts I needed. They were true and in good shape. I rebuilt the outdrive replacing all the seals. When I took the boat out it would run fine until I put in gear and then I would get a high pitch whine from the out drive, only in gear, forward and reverse. I put the same shims back in that I took out. I/m also getting water in the drive which I'm trying to figure out, Any help would be appreciated!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 rebuild

If you replaced the vertical shaft, you need to reset the pinion gear height or the pinion will not be making proper contact with the fwd or rev gears.
Did you put that small quad ring between the upper and lower units when you put them back together? If not, there is your leak. But you really need to do a pressure and vacuum check to locate the source of the water.
You do have a manual don't you?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hitting rocks is one thing,but your post did say boulder.
You may have done damage to the upper drive as well.

DHP

robncath1

Recruit

Took a part the upper gear box and everything was good. The quad ring was replaced. I have a clymer manual. In the manual they have a jig with a feeler gauge you use to check the gear clearance. Anyway you can adjust the gear height with out the jig (don't have one" Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Clymers? ? ? ? ? You don't have a manual. Here is a manual.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

You MUST use the special tools, without them, you are only guessing, and your gears won't last long.

outhouse.jpg