help please?

supersteve2181

Recruit
first off,hello and welcome!what a great site!
i just recently bought my first boat which is fitted with a Johnson 90hp engine model number BJ90TLCOS,,i am unsure on what the fuel mix is,can someone please confirm whether the mix is 50:1 or 100:1,,also how important is it to get this 100% accuarte,i plan to take the boat out for the first time tomorrow and dont want it breaking down!,,the engine has just had a recent overhaul before i bought it and i was informed that when the compression was checked it was 120x4,is this normal?
cheers guys
steve

supersteve2181

Recruit
Re: help please?

also does anyone know what kinds of speed my boat should do,,its a 17ft speedboat with the above engine ^^^
cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you did'nt state whether you hull is fiberglass or aluminum. i have a 1988 johnson 88 Special on a 16'8" aluminum deep V hull, it runs out at about 42 to 45 mph. Great cruising at 38 mph at 3/4 throttle that saves gas.. good luck.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

On precision: common useage is one pint (16oz) per six gallons, one cup per three gallons...that's closer to 48:1, gives you some margin. On a six gallon tank I use a measurer with 1/3 cup increments and round up or down to the nearest gallon. In a bigger tank, plus or minus an ounce or two won't be noticed.