fuel use ?

ziggy

Admiral
hi folks, does anyone know if i can run the premeium fuel w/ lead additive in my 87 chevy nova (toyota corolla in discise) w/o ramifications. my cat is disconnected inadvertantly right now. i need to dispose of the fuel in my boat. 24 gal. the nova wants unleaded regular.....

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fuel use ?

The octane will not be a problem, but I don't know about the lead additive. I can't imagine it would cause any trouble, but I don't know. Who made the additive? Any info in it online?

ziggy

Admiral

the lead additive is just whatever ya get at the auto parts store. in this case, mfg is mag1, called premeium lead additive. think i got it at advaced auto parts store. only thing i can find on the bottle is that it containes petroleum distillates.
i'm thinkin i agree with the octane issue. that i don't think it (the nova) will mind. the lead additive is more my concern too...........

tommays

Admiral

Its really only the CAT that might be dammaged if it has one ?

Tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just don't so it all at once. Use a few gallons at a time. The unleaded gas will dilute it and I doubt highly that the additive is actually lead. (me personally I would just do it and not worry) The lead was a lubicant in the old fuel so your additive is probably safe for cat systems anyway.

ziggy

Admiral

that's what i'm thinkin to tommays. the cat is disconnected for sure as i got's me open pipe right now as it broke off right in front of the cat.....sounds pretty loud too. but thought this might be my oppertunity to get rid of this boat fuel before it goes bad. the fuel in question is also 1 year old round abouts, but was stabilled...... need to get rid of the fuel soon if this is my route to take. i need a muffler......:^

ziggy

Admiral

good, sounds like the consense is to use it. a few gal. at a time sounds like a good idea to me too bob_vt.......i don't think it's lead either. some kinda substitue that don't posion us somehow.....

thankyou for the input folks.........

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The lead deposits may collect on the O2 Sensor and cause O2 failure.

ziggy

Admiral

to late reel poor. put me in 5 gal. w/ abouts 5 gal. left in the tank. i suppose i do have an o2 sensor. must be about one of the first. darn thing is a maze of vac. hoses. + seems like perhaps i've done an o2 sensor before. i will keep an eye ontoit. thankyou.......

puddle jumper

Captain

To be honest with you i dont think you will do any damage to any thing.It would take many many tank fulls to cause any harm in a car of that age.