Tach hook up help for 1978 1150

bkeith66

Cadet
Hi,
Hoping someone can tell wether the below tach can be hooked up to a 1978 1150 mercury. The control box is a mercontrol & has a opening on front to accept a three prong plug (which i don't have). If hook up is possible, could someone explain the procedure.? I do have a seloc manual, but i don't see a diagram for mercontrol.
Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach hook up help for 1978 1150

Bkeith, As long and that tach is made for a Mercury, it should work fine. I notice there are no settings on the back for other brands of OB, so I am assuming it is made for a single brand (hopefully mercury). The three prong plug will supply +12V, Ground and Alternator pulses, and is made to run your instruments, especially the Tach. Buy the plug at a Merc dealer and hook it up. White is +12V, Black is ground, brown is alternator.

bkeith66

Cadet
Re: Tach hook up help for 1978 1150

Chris,
Took the mercontrol apart to see what color wires went to which plug openings. Made some temp jumpers up to go from control plug to tach as per your instructions. Started motor with the muffs & it works! Idled somewhere around 600 rpms & the needle raised when i brought the idle arm up. Just need a wot test now.
Thank you much.