Torquing Teleflex helm

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm installing a Teleflex helm and there are three steps that specify torquing bolts to 110-145 inch pounds, 75-120 inch pounds and 240-320 inch pounds. I haven't had a torque wrench in years. Do I need to go buy one just for this job. Instructions make it sound important to get them tightened just right.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Torquing Teleflex helm

Well,........ I'd probably do the job with My Educated Elbow,........
The Reasoning for the Even Torque is so the Helm doesn't get Twisted, or Deformed in the process....... This would cause Binding of it's Works.......

I'd just Go Easy,+ Go Slow.........
Total Torque comes out to about 20ft.lbs..........
And, that ain't very Tight.....
That would translate to Just Snug with My Elbow........

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

bond-o said:
Well,........ I'd probably do the job with My Educated Elbow,........
The Reasoning for the Even Torque is so the Helm doesn't get Twisted, or Deformed in the process....... This would cause Binding of it's Works.......

I'd just Go Easy,+ Go Slow.........
Total Torque comes out to about 20ft.lbs..........
And, that ain't very Tight.....
That would translate to Just Snug with My Elbow........

Hey, that works for me. Checked Sears and their torque wrenches start at $170! I think the last one I bought might have been $10. That shows how often I find a need for a torque wrench. I can do "just snug". BTW, how strong is your elbow? I'm a weak senior citizen. Would your "just snug" translate to "crank it with all my might"?

Bondo

Staff member

I'm a Mechanic,......
My Elbow is graduated in both In.lbs,+ Ft.lbs.............

There's 12In.lbs in a Ft.lbs.........

A 1/4" bolt takes about 10/15Ft.lbs.......
A 5/16" bolt takes about 15/20Ft.lbs.......
A 3/8" bolt takes about 30/35Ft.lbs..........

I can't help You with Your Elbow's Education.................

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If a bolt is to be tightened to 20 ft lbs, that is the same as hanging a 20 lb weight on the end of a 1 foot long socket wrench and letting gravity tighten it. So, like it was stated earlier, its not very tight.

Here is an idea: put your hand on a bathroom scale. push on it until it registers 20 lbs. That gives you an idea of how hard you will have to push on your socket wrench to tighten it to 20 fl/lbs if the socket wrench is 1 foot long. Push harder if your socket wrench is only 8 to 10 inches.

I agree the best idea is to just tighten the nuts evenly until snug.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mark42 said:
If a bolt is to be tightened to 20 ft lbs, that is the same as hanging a 20 lb weight on the end of a 1 foot long socket wrench and letting gravity tighten it. So, like it was stated earlier, its not very tight.

Here is an idea: put your hand on a bathroom scale. push on it until it registers 20 lbs. That gives you an idea of how hard you will have to push on your socket wrench to tighten it to 20 fl/lbs if the socket wrench is 1 foot long. Push harder if your socket wrench is only 8 to 10 inches.

I agree the best idea is to just tighten the nuts evenly until snug.

Hey, you guys are great. I've got a bathroom scale and a socket wrench. I can do it! Okay, I just learned Sears has a beam wrench that didn't show up at www.Sears.com for about $30. Maybe I'll leave my little island tomorrow and see if the local store has one. If not, it's back to the scale and see what 20 lbs. feels like! Can't wait to get a motor to hook this steering to. Hey, how do you get to be captains and admirals? Time in grade? Pass a test?

Bondo

Staff member

Hey, how do you get to be captains and admirals? Time in grade? Pass a test?

Ayuh,..........

Lots,+ Lots of Posts..............It's All in the Post Count.......