need help wiring

waterman

Recruit
i got a 1991 65 hp johnson got to know what the solid purple ,tan or lt brown, and grey wires are for coming out of the wiring harness and where to connect to. can anyone help. this would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help wiring

The gray wire is usually the sensor wire leading from the rectifier which connects to the tachometer sensor (S) terminal.

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess you're asking where the wires go on the motor, rather than asking where they go on the key switch. The purple wire goes into the plug that hooks up to the vro. The tan wire goes 2 places, the vro plug, and the temperature sensor on the back of the motor. If you tell me what model you have I could look it up and give you more details.

waterman

Recruit

waterman said:
i got a 1991 65 hp johnson got to know what the solid purple ,tan or lt brown, and grey wires are for coming out of the wiring harness and where to connect to. can anyone help. this would be greatly appreciated.

where do these wires go to on ignition.

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The purple wire goes onto the A terminal on the key switch. The tan wire goes onto one of the 2 terminals of the warning horn, which is in the control box if you have a control box. And as Joe said, the grey wire goes to the tach, or it can go into the control box where it will hook up to the small rubber plug coming out of the control box which will then lead it to the tach.