removing trim tab/anode

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
have a 1966 merc 500. service manual says to remove rubber cover over anode and undo locknut to remove. looking in with a flashlite, all thats there, is a 9/16 nut. the hole is way to small to get a 9/16 socket in. is the lower unit to be removed, the access hole drilled out, or is part of it corroded away?

wbblc87

Cadet
Re: removing trim tab/anode

dairic said:
have a 1966 merc 500. service manual says to remove rubber cover over anode and undo locknut to remove. looking in with a flashlite, all thats there, is a 9/16 nut. the hole is way to small to get a 9/16 socket in. is the lower unit to be removed, the access hole drilled out, or is part of it corroded away?

Look again, it might be an allen head bolt. The hole should be large enough for an allen wrench.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

theres no hole in the stud protruding from the nut,, I'll try running i pick in to see if i can free it up at all, thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Daric, You can drill away the zinc anode until it breaks up, and falls off the bolt. I do not know about your '66 motor, but my '77 motor uses a thinwall 1/2" socket to remove the bolt that holds the zinc on.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

I'm about to take a closer look at again, but the access hole appears to not be large enough for even the nut, let alone a socket. I guess I could try cutting off the fin of the anode then could try drilling out, but this still won't allow me to screw on the new one from the inside

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

Got it!! Had to clean out allan hole, then try about 20 keys before i got one to fit. Its not like you cab see how its fitting, lol. thanks for the help