Volvo vs OMC part numbers

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a (probably naive) question. During the years that Volvo/Penta and OMC were cooperating or whatever, in the early to mid 90's, I've noticed that a lot of the part numbers for the same part on each system are the same. Did OMC just pick up Volvo's part system or vice versa?

The reason that I ask is that in the process of checking prices on the electric fuel pump for my boat, I just checked on DougRussell for the P/N for the same part on an OMC of the same year. The fiche pages are the same, and most, but not all of the parts are the same. The same part number is used for the fuel pump.

I've also noted that in at least one seller, the OMC part was $10-$20 cheaper than the Volvo part with the same P/N.

Any comments?

Thanks,

johnbo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo vs OMC part numbers

Volvo used some of the part numbers that OMC had, but some of the parts (5095 to be exact) are the same part, with a different part number.

As far as the price difference, I don't have a clue.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo vs OMC part numbers

my understanding is that Volvo parts, where interchangable, are a considerable percent cheaper than the OMC price. Reason being is that Bombardier simply buys them from Volvo and then marks them way up.