Debris In Thermostat Housing!!!

yelladog

Seaman
I was changing the thermostat in my 1973 Evinrude 25 and noticed some medium sized pieces of what looked like carbon. I had been have trouble with overheating and decided to change t-stat and water pump. Should I be concerned or could this be from setting up for a long time?? Are there any areas I need to clean or anything I need to do?? Thanks

fireman57

Captain
Re: Debris In Thermostat Housing!!!

You might try flushing the system with a half inch hose to remove any other loose stuff. I hook the hose to my water pipe after removing the lower unit. Had same problem only mine was gasket sealer from a rebuild that I didn't do. Ran for a trip without tstat in to let any other stuff pass through. Ended up clogging my telltale but that was easy to clear.

yelladog

Seaman

Fireman, Thanks for the advice. Makes sense on the flushing at the tube. Thanks Again

fireman57

Captain

Don't run for a long time without a tstat as it may not fill all the passages properly and you could heat up a cylinder. the tstat keep an even pressure so everything works under the proper temp. You also will not have a strong a pee stream without the tstat. Let us know if this solves it, post back.

yelladog

Seaman

Well, I flushed everything out as you stated and was still running hot. Decided to pull the head and sure enough the debris I was seeing was pieces of the head gasket. I could see these pieces in the water jackets so what I did was, With the head off, I hooked my hose up to the water tube and lightly turned the water on carful not to let water run down into the cylinders and flushed all of this debris out that way. Hope this was ok? This head gasket was absoulutly shot!! I have one on the way and I am hoping that this will fix my problem. Thanks Alot