Carb Rebuild Problem

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have reached a problem on my carb rebuild. The screw (phillips head) that holds the choke lever on has become stripped. I tried to use a dremel to cut a notch so that I could use a regular screwdriver and that only made it worse Now I have no leverage on the screw what so ever. Should i bend the choke lever so that I can get the choke bowl off and then use pliers to get the screw off, or is the choke lever a hard part to replace?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Carb Rebuild Problem

Which screw ?

23.gif

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

30 if I am seeing the diagram correctly. It is the screw that holds part # 30 in.

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry it is the screw that holds part # 3 in. The screw is #30.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If you can not get "ANY" force on the screw at all use your dremel and grind the head off the screw. Then remove the parts as necessary.

Once apart you can apply some heat to the shaft (with a soldering iron) the screw may have a bit of locktight on it. If you can get any grip on the screw now maybe try the heat first applied directly to the head of the screw.

Auto or marine repair shop may have a screw you could get from them in an old junk carb.

turbodriven

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure I'm following your problem. I just dissassembled my carb and reassembled it all without removing the choke lever. If I'm correct, you are trying to get part #7 off so that you can separate the bowl into two halfs (top half which houses the choke and the float, and the bottom half which contains the actual bowl). If so, then it CAN be done without removing any levers or screws on the choke. Just takes some patience and some careful twisting of the two halfs before the part (connecting rod #7) just falls out. Reminded me of one of those twisted nail puzzles. You know the one where you have to separate the bent nails that are twisted together.