Water Dripping from Shaft at transom

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer
I had the boat out yesterday. 1st time in 1 1/2 years. All went well except for a gas guage registering empty when it was just filled up. I noticed water dripping from the shaft that runs thru the transom. Just a drip like from a drippy faucet. No stream. We were out for 2 1/2 hrs. A few full throttle runs, some cruising speeds and some dead throttle sight seeing. When I pulled the plug after getting it home it drained between 2-3 gals of water. I only have 263 hrs. on it. Any ideas on what needs to be replaced?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Water Dripping from Shaft at transom

Not really a LOT to go on there :)

Like whats makeing the boat move

Tommays

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, It's a 1996 Celebrity 21ft Starfire 350Magnum Fuel Injected, Bravo 1.

tommays

Admiral

If its dripping fron the shaft that spins to turn the drive thats BAD as it means you have bellows full of water and its rusting up all the parts its ment to protect

Take a look to be sure and you need to correct it ASAP as it just cost more the longer it leaks

Tommays

tommays

Admiral

Not sure even whats wrong yet :)

I would move it to the I/O forum

It sounds like you need a new driveshaft bellows AND to repiar the parts that the leak dammaged

IF thats the case its a very diffcult job and that bravo drive is really heavy and will require a lift of some type

Tommays

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

two words: BILGE PUMP

in addition to aforementioned repairs

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!
I have a bilge pump in it. An auto one. I have an engine hoist. I also have a book on the Mercruiser and Bravo 1 drive. I ordered the complete transom repair kit. It has all the rubber parts plus gimble bearing. The link I posted earlier is to the parts I bought. If you can look at it and let me know if those parts should be a good start, I'd appreciate it. I really like to work on my own stuff. I haven't had very good experiences having shops work on my boats especially. Big bucks and the work is sub-standard.
Thanks.