Bow trolling motor on a transom mount

JenkHouse

Recruit
I am a newbie to this site and have come here after utter frustration with minn kota, motor guide, and west marine. I have a Lund WC-12 aluminum boat and I am in the process of adapting the front of my boat to my fishing needs. I am building a box which lies from a small bracketed piece of wood in the bow to the edge of the front bench. I am installing seats, one in front attached to the bench with a clip and another in the back directly bolted to the bench. Now here comes my stumbling block and challenge to all of you who read this.

I want to put a trolling motor on the bow of the boat. Of course that is easy right? Well no. This boat is primarily for fishing as that is what I live for amongst breathing and eating. I hate taking my hand off of my rod for any reason while I am on the water. So what I want to do is get one of the bow mounted motors with a foot pedal attached to a transom mount. I have spend countless hours of the last 5 days searching for some sort of bracket or mount that will allow me to attach a bow mounted motor to a transom mount allowing me hands free fishing. After reading several of the posts in this section I know that there is a way to mount a bow trolling motor directly to the aluminum panel. The problem is that is another 50 or 60 lbs added to the bow of my boat and I am not even sure if the aluminum will withstand the stress of having a mounted trolling motor on it.

On the other hand I have had a transom mount on the bow of my boat so I know it will work, I just want to enjoy the hands free features of a bow mounted motor….

Suggestions? Hints, links, help????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bow trolling motor on a transom mount

I think you have an exaggerated idea of the weight of Minn Kota's smaller bow mount motors. Even the monster Genesis only weighed 60lb. An MK565 weighs less than 30.

It shouldn't require much engineering to mount a MK quick release base to the bow of your 12footer. From there you have a number of model options.

JenkHouse

Recruit

do you think you could elaborate for me a bit?

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Here is what I did.

I used an old Clinton motor transom mount. As you can see in the pictures I had to "Doctor" it up some to make the shaft fit but it works very well.

side.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

I hope this helps!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I put one on a alum boat once as you are describing. But I went to a welding shop and for not very much, had them fabricate a bracket for me and weld it to the hull and while they were there make a nother set of brackets (and weld to the hull stringers), for my feet so that when I was sitting up there fishing, I had a flat floor to rest my feet on (rather than the V botton). I used treated (I treated) plywood for the footrest. Worked slick.

HTH

Mark

Boatist

Rear Admiral

You want to mount your motor on the bow. You will have ten times more control of the boat while fishing. On a 12 Aluminum you do not need that big a motor.

For stright trolling on the stern will work but still much harder to steer. Working a shore line on a windy day with motor mounted on the stern very diffuclut. Mounted on the bow much eaiser to steer and position the boat where you want. You will catch more fish.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Listen to what Boatist says......wise man.....speaks from experience. 8)

Mark