1985 Evinrude starter problem

assemblage23

Recruit
Hello,

I've got a 1985 Evinrude 40hp that I've recently had some starter problems with. The other day i tried to turn the engine over, and I got a shorting-out sound from the starter...I tried it again and it turned over fine twice like nothing was wrong, then on the next attempt I got nothing...no shorting sound, no starter engagement, just dead silence. Does this mean that the starter is completely burned out? Can this be rebuilt or am I going to have to drop $120 on a new starter?

Any help is much appreciated!

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1985 Evinrude starter problem

If the 'shorting out sound' was like a chattering noise,try a starter solenoid first.

I'm relying on you that the battery is charged,and connections are clean.

DHP

assemblage23

Recruit

yeh the battery is fresh and the connections are clean, and yes it was a chattering sound...kind of like an electrical-chattering sound if that makes any sense....is there an easy way to bypass the solenoid and put power directly to the starter to see if it's still good? (without burning anything else up ofcourse)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Start with a known good battery fully charged, clean tight connections at battery terminals, engine block ground, solenoid and starter. Measure the voltage from the starter positive post to ground with the key engaged...if you get 12V (or very close to battery voltage) then starter's bad. If low voltage at the starter, measure voltage from the solenoid input terminal (small post with red or yellow/red wire) to ground. If low voltage at the solenoid, troubleshoot ignition switch, neutral safety switch and wiring harness. Otherwise replace solenoid.