SPARK TESTERS?

mvansusteren

Cadet
I've read references to "spark testers". Is there something out there beyond the device that you connect the spark plug cables to and then crank the engine and watch for a spark to jump the gap? I believe Stevens Instruments in Illinois offeres such an item. How is that different than pulling a plug and grounding it to the block and watching for a spark that way? I would think ideally some way of watching for a spark when the engine is actually running would be the way to go but is there such a thing? I've got an inline 6 and I'd love to watch all six at a time.

srussell28

Seaman
Re: SPARK TESTERS?

I went to Pepboys and they have a spark tester that you can adjust how far the spark can jump, it works great and is easy to set the jump and see the spark. It was 9.00.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Harbor Freight has a cheap one ($3-$4) that uses a small light bulb. Unhook the plug wire from the plug, connect it between the wire and the plug. The bulb blinks when it fires, so you don't remove the plug and you can watch it while the engine runs. Good diagnostic tool.

studlymandingo

Commander

Grounding the plug is a way to see if the plug is getting spark. Using a spark-gap tester is the way to check if the ignition is firing adequately, by setting the gap to a distance predetermined by the ignition system.

timmathis

Lieutenant

They make a spark tester, And a spark gap tester. Both.

bbarrons

Cadet

srussell28 said:
I went to Pepboys and they have a spark tester that you can adjust how far the spark can jump, it works great and is easy to set the jump and see the spark. It was 9.00.

srussell28 I sent you a pm.....please look.
thanks
Bill B