88 80 hp powerhead with 2 bad pistons$$$

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have an 88 80 hp merc. thats powerhead went bad with 2 bad pistons. the boat is avg. the trailer avg. value running is about 1500.00 is it worth 2k to rebuild powehead. i seen a site in the midwest that will rebuild powerhead for $1500 with gaskets. not including sleeves if needed. we are at the end of our season soon. i was thinking about putting the money towards a new boat over the winter any thoughts. oh the motor is fresh water and very clean inside
bob
any advice would be great

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88 80 hp powerhead with 2 bad pistons$$$

without a running engine, a boat is junk to the normal guy. the thing is, spend two grand on an engine and have the boat for 2000 dollars worth or throw it away and upgrade. do you want a payment or someone elses problem? boating is not cheap. its an expensive hobby. also you could probably save over half of that if you build it yourself. just have it machined. if you tore it down with attention, its not much different to put it back together the same way. here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...020QQitemZ300018408226QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

delsol

lilmandavis said:
without a running engine, a boat is junk to the normal guy. the thing is, spend two grand on an engine and have the boat for 2000 dollars worth or throw it away and upgrade. do you want a payment or someone elses problem? boating is not cheap. its an expensive hobby. also you could probably save over half of that if you build it yourself. just have it machined. if you tore it down with attention, its not much different to put it back together the same way. here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...020QQitemZ300018408226QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

delsol

i am going to think hard this weekend. i got a guy in pa. who will take powerhead apart. total rebuilt . ith all my parts ,apart. put it back together .test run it time it rebuild carbs.all i have to do is send it to him. or if i drive there they will do it same day 5 hour drive with boat. it will be ready for water. i ill need to do nothing but pay. only problem i dont want to trailer 5 + hrs. its only and 80 so install is fast and easy 2k + shipping sounds fair
my motor is cleaner then that 72 on ebay and its an 88-89. and i know what i have either payment book or rebuild.not taking a chance on used motors. got 2 many bad ones over my lifetime
bob
what do you think based on this thought

delsol

any input?????

delsol

thanks for the nada guide..do you or anyone know where i can get one for these prices.i think not as they are a guide. i live in phila outboards less then a grand are not in phila . n.j or deleware. i lived it fla and it would be almost inpossible to find a 88-89 80 hp with electric trim for $900 that has great compression and needs nothing.this is where i have a major disagreement with book values. to me they are a guide
bob