Relay or Trim switch??

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My tilt/trim lowers down fine but works intermittently when pressing the up button. I can hear a "click" at the relay when I press the button but no movement most of the time.Once in a while it will "catch" and raise up. Does this sound like a relay or should I replace the switch?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Relay or Trim switch??

The click at least means the switch is working and the relay is energizing but it could have bad contacts inside. If you jumper the 2 big wires on the relay and the pump/motor works everytime it's probably a bad relay.

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just to be sure , am I correct in saying the relay is the part that looks similar to the solenoid , and has the blue wire from the trim up switch going to it?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Lisfisher, There are PTT systems with one or two solenoids. I will presume your reference to the relay means the solenoid, since there is no relay. You need to jumper the solenoid secondary (red wire from battery) to the non-black (non-ground) wire on the solenoid primary (small terminal) winding. If the trim works well, you have a bad switch or bad trim limit switch. if the up is intermittent, jumper across the solenoid secondary (battey cable to blue wire). If the motor works well, you have a bad solenoid.

How well does your trim work if you push both middle and top buttons ar the same time?

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure what you mean when you say "push both middle and top buttons at the same time".

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spoke to someone at Mercury yesterday , he said I have two relay's and to swap them ,then see if the trim up works.Well I looked for the relays and there are none.Just two solenoids way up towards the top of the engine. How can I tell which one is for trim up? Also , the liquid neoprene is neccessary for this part , on the screws - what does liquid neoprene do ?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Some people call solenoids relays and visa versa. The liquid neoprene just acts as a sealer to prevent the connections from corroding. What year and size of motor is this. Chris was asking about switch, the older Mercs actually had a 3 button (on the dash) switch plate, is your switch on the throttle?

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I was able to figure this out over the weekend , with the help of all who responded here. I do not have relay's.I have two solenoids for the up/down function. I swapped them out over the weekend to see if one was dead.Sure enough after I swapped them,now the up function works and the down does not. Problem solved.Thanks for the help!!