rope starting

alana

Seaman
this might not be the right place for this question, but has anyone out there started a 115hp 4stroke efi with the rope they give you with the motor. just for fun a lot of my friends and i have tried with no success. the engine is in perfect condition, starting ok with the electric starter

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: rope starting

alana said:
this might not be the right place for this question, but has anyone out there started a 115hp 4stroke efi with the rope they give you with the motor. just for fun a lot of my friends and i have tried with no success. the engine is in perfect condition, starting ok with the electric starter

I have often wondered that very thing, is it really possible! But never took the time to see if I could make it happen. That is the kind of story that would preceed you! "Isn't that the guy that pull started a Merc 200 ONE HANDED!"

Did you have the key in the "ON" position. I have a smaller hp engine that is set up for either rope or electric starter and I can manage it either way IF I remember to turn the key to the ON position.

alana

Seaman

yes key was on. we couldn`t even get over second comprestion

deejaycee_2000

Captain

It is very difficult, hardly possible, we've tried on my 115hp Suzuki, no luck ..... you must be Superman or Hercules to be able to pull that thing ....

jaybirdtx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have a joke around our dealership about the pull-ropes. Here's what you do with them.
Roll the rope up in your hand and use it to wave a passing boat down for help.
Or use it to tie to the boat that is pulling you back to the ramp.
AND finally...use it to hang yourself...it makes a better noose than it does as an alernate starting device.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure how much difference the compression is between the 4 stroke and 2 stroke but I had the pleasure of rope starting my 2003 115 2 stroke (kids left the stereo on and drained the battery) and I was amazed at how easy it was to pull, it actually fired up on the 2nd pull and I think it may have started on the first if I had pulled harder.

alana

Seaman

thanks all. i thought that bit of rope was a joke now i know it is.

we have pull started a 140 johnson and also a 150 merc,and a 150 force.can be done,takes a steady pull,not a jerk,isnt any fun.

Deep_Blue

Seaman

I guess if your battery just (and I mean just) doesn’t have the juice to crank the engine over you could have one guy pull the rope while the other guy turns the key. Maybe with the two combined (half dead starter + rope puller) you might be able to crank it enough to start. But if the battery is completely dead you screwed!

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

thats what i do is hold the key and one pulls it. i learned a big lesson though!! make sure its in neutral!! i started my 80 hp merc and as always it fired right up! right up in gear and at half throttle..........good thing my friend was there at the helm to stop the boat and pick me back up!! i went right over the transom head over heels. i guess my friend didnt know there was a throttle lever AND a neutral idle lever.

bbarrons

Cadet

When my autoblend dumped all the oil in to my gas we killed the battery trying to start it (1986 merc 90). We pulled the plugs , changed them out and ran a fresh tank of gas with no autoblend.....If it wasnt for my nephew who weighs in at 240 we might still be out on the water.... it can be done but I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Bill

mikael.block

Cadet

hi
I tried on my old 75hp marina 1984, the battery was dead. I didn't get it started, but was towed back by a friendly boater. Not with the start rope *lol*

mikael

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Deep_Blue said:
I guess if your battery just (and I mean just) doesn’t have the juice to crank the engine over you could have one guy pull the rope while the other guy turns the key. Maybe with the two combined (half dead starter + rope puller) you might be able to crank it enough to start. But if the battery is completely dead you screwed!

I agree on your method ...... nice pic in your avatar .... not your boat is it? .... looks like something that i would do ..... :)