reasons why piston go bad

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i found a bad cly. 25 lbs compression in cly. removed power head..i was running hot fixed that but think oil injection went bad. when i fix motor i will premix . but my question is how do you tell what caused the problem

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reasons why piston go bad

little more info. what engine,year,hp which cylinder?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

run lean on fuel. lean on oil ratio. timing not adjusted correctly. valve breaks off and falls into cylinder. fractured rings. if the oil ratio leaned out there are far more problems that a bad piston. its time for a tear down and see how the bearings and crank are lookin.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

middle cly. 3 cly 88 merc 80 hp. changed water pump buzzer was sounding . fixed that . buzzer went away. but it did not seem to smoke like it did i used little oil on about 10 gallons. i think its oil injection failed and am going to get rid of it..it always seemed good on oil . but it seems to good. boat would smoke when starting cold. but while warm reving up it would barly smoke before problem, but before while reving in netrual it would always smoke. the systoms of failure were not seen. it ran good then shut off at high speed . did it a few times and i thought it was fuel starved....till i got to dock and heard some tapping. power hed is off and tonight i will look at cly
bob

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

look at cleaning the oil injector and rebuilding that as well. there might be mains that are connected to the oil injecter to get them oiled. not to familiar with what engine you, have, but its safest to check out how the injector actully works and what its connected to, to provide lubrication.