Electronic paddle type fuel gauge pick-up

tayloe

Cadet
Speedo issue on my 2001 Larson 190 LXI. I allowed my boat to sit on the sany bottom of lake sommerville last weekend. I didn't think it would do any harm...until the next morning the speedo was not working. I have the electronic paddle type pick-up. The assembly is mounted on the bottom edge of the hull on next to the out-drive. I don't think it is a wiring issue bc it was working fine the day before I left it 'beached' in three ft of water overnight. Could sand get into the pick-upassembly? Should the paddle wheel spin with little to no resistance? Can I find a replacement paddle wheel to trial and error with? I am not sure what the cause here was, but need some clarity on fixing my paddle/assembly.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electronic paddle type fuel gauge pick-up

Fuel Guage?????

I think you need to edit your topic title, Tayloe.

Welcome to iboats. :)

studlymandingo

Commander

Yes the paddle should turn freely with no resistance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Paddle wheel pickups are really what's called a reluctance pickup. As the teeth on the paddle wheel spin past the reluctor a signal is sent to the speedometer which translates the frequency of the pulses to speed. If the paddle wheel turns freely and has not somehow moved too far away from the actual sensor, you have an electrical problem.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You probably got the sand embeded in the paddle wheel shaft, causing it to not spin freely. Give it a good water and air cleaning untill it spins freely again.

tayloe

Cadet

I haven't had a chance to get the boat out of storage...but plan on trying to fix the spedo pickup this weekend.

On a side note, I am trying to locate some supports for my outdrive. I've seen what looks like a plastice tubular piece mounted on the trim cylinder shafts, they basically hug the chrome shafts on the trim cylinders. Does anyone know where I can buy those for my volve penta?

tayloe

Cadet

Reel Poor was correct, all it took was a shaft cleaning and now the paddle is spinning freely!! Haven't had a chance to get it on the water to see if that fixed the problem. I am optimistic though.

Thanks.