Help!! Force 85 HP won't start

rockfishAL

Recruit
Last Sunday I started my Force 85 without any problem and ran for about 10 minutes in the Chesapeak Bay. I was running it very slow since I was trolling when the engine stopped. I put it in neutral and turned the key. I only heard click coming from the starter but it never crancked the fly wheel. The small starter gear is still engaged to the fly wheel. Is this normal or should the starter gear disengage when you stop turnning the key?
I cleaned the battery terminal and made sure that the battery is good since the Bilage and the tilt still works. Please help, is this a bad starter? I thought the fly wheel may be stuck and tried to turn it by hand while in neutral but it was not bugging at all. Should I be able to turn the fly wheel while it is in neutral?

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help!! Force 85 HP won't start

Flywheel should turn by hand, stiff due to compression of cylinders, but it should turn. Make sure you only spin it the correct direction so as not to wreck your impeller. Try charging your battery anyway, low battery will still operate a bilge pump and trim/tilt but won't have enough to turn starter. starter gear should drop back down when you release key.

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure the shaft has a little lubrication on it. I have had this happen to me in the past. I just tapped the starter gear back down and the starter engaged again and turned the motor over. That's tap not hammer! Have a test done on the battery to make sure it has sufficient charge. You can get this done at most auto part stores for free. Also check for fouled plugs. As long as you did not have any overheating issues this may just require a little decarbing, change out the fuel filter and rebuild the fuel pump. Check the forum FAQs for the proper decarbing procedures.

drdoss

Cadet

Make sure that nut on starter gear has is tight. Use locktight to keep it from working loose.

rockfishAL

Recruit

baxtr said:
Flywheel should turn by hand, stiff due to compression of cylinders, but it should turn. Make sure you only spin it the correct direction so as not to wreck your impeller. Try charging your battery anyway, low battery will still operate a bilge pump and trim/tilt but won't have enough to turn starter. starter gear should drop back down when you release key.

I removed the starter and tried to turn the fly wheel in the the clock wise direction. But it doesn't move at all.
Looks like my engine is locked. Now what? should I try to remove the nut on the fly wheel to see if it will unlock it?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Try getting the lower unit off first and remove the spark plugs and see if the powerhead can move then. Could be the lower unit is siezed up