MOON PHASES. fact or fiction

xxxxxx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For those that use them or have information to share with others on how they work....this is the page to help us that would like to know more.<br /><br />Please post web sights one can get information from ( free sights would be nice )<br /><br />Looking forward on learning how to use moon phases for fishing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MOON PHASES. fact or fiction

Fresh water fishing topic.

xxxxxx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gregg:<br />I looked at you lunar chart. Is that software you have to buy or can you find it on the net.I'm would need it for Missouri USA<br />Thanks for your post!<br />Michael

John_S

Rear Admiral

Heres how I use lunar charts:<br /><br />- go fishing as you would, without using a lunar chart. Too many other things govern if you can get out and fish.<br /><br />- after you get back, review the lunar charts. If they say it was high activity, and you caught a bunch of fish, rejoice, they work. If you caught nada, and the charts say slow period, blame it on the moon! ;) On the other hand, if it said heavy activity, and you didn't catch anything, find a different excuse. :D temperature, humidity, air pressure, wrong lure color, jet skis, wind, water level, no bait, etc. ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

I can honestly say that I catch much less during a full moon phase. <br /><br />I attribute it to the fact that if the skys are clear during a full moon, the fish think its daytime and feed all night.<br /><br />Mr. LF thinks I'm nuts. What do y'all think?

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most record fish in BASS were caught during a full moon period. I personally seem to find better results during a full moon. Perhaps it's just the power of positive thinking.<br />I have also read articles that said that 50% of the fish were caught during a full moon and 50% were caught during a new moon. YMMV.<br />I think that John S has the right idea.

xxxxxx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gregg: thank you!<br /><br />I know what you mean when one has to sign up for one thing to get another thing.<br />Againe thank you!!

jameservin

Seaman

Several of us have watched these phases and checked against actual activity and just have not seen a corrolation. <br />I dunno!?<br />Best time to fish is simply any time ya get the chance!

xxxxxx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Has any one used this ...Speedtech Angler's Edge Weather Predictor...do they work or ?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I catch more fish when my line is in the water! :D <br /><br />...seriously, good fishing has more to do with weather over anything else.<br /><br />Remember, any day fishing is better than any day at work!

xxxxxx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cobra<br />A line in the water is good...with hook <br />A day fishing is good . I enjoy my work...I'm a artist.

FLATHEAD

Commander

This month bassmaster magazine has a very informative article on fishing the moon phase's.

Queequeg

Seaman Apprentice

My grandparents always planted by the moon. Their corn and tomatoes were superb. But the fishing charts are mostly hooey. Anyway, why would a manly man go fishing with the full moon?<br />You can be snuggling on the porch with your honey, watching it rise in the east. (Duh. Never saw it rise in the west.) Did once flyfish for bluegills on a rising full moon and caught a bunch of big ones. This, however, was mostly due to the midge hatch.<br /><br />--------------------<br />My wife can always find the fish but can't tell me how. <br /> :confused:

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it matters more in salt water where the tides are greatly influenced by the moon phase. Tides typically run 2ft more during full moon here.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

ESPN2 Bass Saturday had a program featuring two guys who have caught 120 and 60 each, 10#+ bass and how they do it. Their "formula" included 3 days before and after a full moon and a new moon. There's more to their tackle and technique, but that was the moon part. As I said in an earlier post, most record bass were caught during this period.<br />Means sumpin!

Queequeg

Seaman Apprentice

You have to wach out for these statistics. For instance, suppose I do get a nice catch on a certain moon phase. Since it only takes one such incident for us silly fisherfolk to make a lucky sign out of something, I make sure from then on that I go fishing on the moon phase. Now when am I going to catch fish?<br />Duh. On a larger scale, suppose, say, 10% of us follow the sun/moon charts faithfully? That's going to put quite a warp in the data. <br /><br />Personally, I go fishing only when I can feel them pulling on me. This is the scientific approach. ;) <br /><br />You know that 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish. This is actually because that 10% of us do 90% of the fishing. <br /><br />---------------------<br />I have no opinions; just the facts. :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I just fish when I can. I don't have the luxury of time or scheduling to even consider fishing by a lunar schedule. I would rather spend a day fishing and not catch a thing than waste a perfectly good day not fishing because some lunar schedule says I shouldn't. All I can say is I have caught fish on every lunar phase, so I don't put a huge stock in it. I am sure it has some merit, but not enough for me...