To buy or not to buy

sldunker

Cadet
Looking at a 1990 60hp evinrude to buy. Motor appears to be in excellent condition. I know that these motors have a history of scoring in the #2 cylinder. I also know that there were several TSB's that address these problems but don't know if they actually correct the scoring problem. I have asked the seller for a compression test but have not heard back from them yet. I guess all I am looking for here is some advise or comments on this engine. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: To buy or not to buy

I have a 1991 70 HP rude that is basically the same engine. I have really had no problems with the motor other than a coil giving out on me awhile back. Just make sure you get the updated waterpump kit/Tstat, keep the RPM's toward the high end of the recommended range and you should be good to go. Some say you should richen out the high speed jet on #2, but I've had no problem with it stock. It has been a very reliable motor over the years. Does this one still have the VRO hooked up?

sldunker

Cadet

rickdb1boat said:
I have a 1991 70 HP rude that is basically the same engine. I have really had no problems with the motor other than a coil giving out on me awhile back. Just make sure you get the updated waterpump kit/Tstat, keep the RPM's toward the high end of the recommended range and you should be good to go. Some say you should richen out the high speed jet on #2, but I've had no problem with it stock. It has been a very reliable motor over the years. Does this one still have the VRO hooked up?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would want to do the compression check myself. Remember the seller's objective is to get your money from your pocket to his.