Mackinac Bridge threatened

PW2

Commander
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060813/NEWS99/60813002

I cross that bridge frequently, but I'll have to rethink that if a $20 WalMart cell phone can take it out!

Seriously, that is a pretty skookum bridge, and it would take a serious amount of explosives, properly and strategically placed, to do any serious damage to that thing.

I don't think I would be worried too much unless the terrorists suddenly aquire a fleet of B-1 bombers, and the bombs that go with them.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mackinac Bridge threatened

Imad Hamad, head of the regional chapter of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, has expressed concern that Arab-Americans might be unfairly linked to terrorism in some cases.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I think cell phones should be banned. Also remote auto thingamajigs. And garage door openers. And TV remotes.....No, wait, scratch that last one. It's almost football season.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

SBN said:
Imad Hamad, head of the regional chapter of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, has expressed concern that Arab-Americans might be unfairly linked to terrorism in some cases.

But don't forget, not all muslims are terrorists, but all the recent terrorists have been muslim..I stay clear of the bridge.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PW,

Do you drive over or are you a Timmy?:% Drove over with the boat one time and almost made me a Timmy.

Laddies

Banned

PW, I thought you Yoppers would be glad to see it gone, that might keep the trools down here--Bob

PW2

Commander

Ok, I'll bite.

What's a "Timmy"?

KaGee

Admiral

But wait a minute now... I thought middle America wasn't at risk?

Laddies

Banned

A trool lives under the bridge and a yopper lives above8)

tommays

Admiral

Its hard to believe a terriost would spend there time and funds buying a thousand cell phones that can be gotten anywere in 30 seconds ?

Now 1000 bags of fertilizer would have me worried

Tommays

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of market would be profitable enough for you to buy cellphones at Wallmart for full price then re-sell them?? That is the question that makes their scheme suspicious to me.
I can't see them blowing up Big Mac, but I could see them providing phones as detonating devices to other sleeper cells.

CD

tommays

Admiral

They well may be the bad guys BUT

Around here even at the food store when a box of Ritz is on sale for 1/2 price people come in and clean the place out :)

And resell OR return it at different store for full price BOTH my children work retail and see many strange things like that with all kinds of items

Tommays

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bush is too intrusive in our lives, eroding our freedoms with all the Home Land Security power, yada, yada, yada.

But Bush is not doing enough to protect us!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Timmies are people who are afraid to drive over the bridge by themselves. You know how that wind can be. So there are some standby drivers waiting on either side of the bridge to drive vehicles over for "TIMID - TIMMIES" drivers who are afraid.:%

KaGee

Admiral

tommays said:
Its hard to believe a terriost would spend there time and funds buying a thousand cell phones that can be gotten anywere in 30 seconds ?

Now 1000 bags of fertilizer would have me worried

Tommays

Who's to say the bulk weren't headed overseas? The phones were found with the batteries separated from them. Highly suspect. I think they should be taken off the market. (Trac-fone and alike). This is not the first time for this kind of thing. The major companys have plans now for "cash-only" customers.

And... why would somebody buy a phone from these boneheads when they could walk into Walmart and but it cheaper?

As for the fertilizer... that would raise a dozen red-flags.

PW2

Commander

I knew they had drivers avalable, but I'd never heard them called Timmies.

That bridge can get nasty in a windstorm ( I think they close it if winds get to a sustained 45 mph or so) It's bad enough on a calm day for those that are a bit afraid of heights. I'm not sure how far off the water it is, but it has to be in excess of 1000 ft.

As far as bridge targets go, the International bridge between the two Soo's would be a better target---You can drive to and access the base of it on land, it looks less formidable and would cause a significant economic impact, and it appears to the untrained in these things to be at least possible.

As far as the midwest being a target, Indiana had the most terror targets listed than any other state according to Homeland Security. Included in Indiana was a roller rink and a petting zoo, among others

D

DJ

Bush is too intrusive in our lives, eroding our freedoms with all the Home Land Security power, yada, yada, yada.

But Bush is not doing enough to protect us!

The terrorists took those freedoms.

Cell phones don't blow up things, they are the trigger.

PW2, since you're not worried about it, should something be found, can we use you as the "test" vehicle to check it's safety?

That bridge being gone would have very little, if any economic impact. Emotional impact would rate about a five on a scale of 1 to 100.

99.0% of the American public doesn't even know it exists. Another 80% doesn't know there is an Upper Michigan and 70% doesn't know there is a Michigan at all.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

The standby drivers are not called timmies the Timid drivers afraid to make it themselves are called Timmies.

Anyway you are absolutely right. I drove over the bridge about 3 weeks ago and it was under construction so one lane was closed and I faced only about 15mph winds. The elevation, combined with the narrow lanes and wind can put the fear of god in anyone. But talk about a million dollar view.

I agree that a random explosion is highly unlikely to bring that bridge down, but the fear factor would be high. Personally I get double payout on my life insurance if I die on the job. Fear is what these aholes live on, and they get none of that from me. Booked a flight this morning for next month and driving over Big Mac later this week. But there is something funky about someone having 6000 cell phones.