58 evinrude fuel tank

det1949

Recruit
I can't get an even flow of fuel. Is there an external fuel pump that can be installed in line?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 58 evinrude fuel tank

But why? There are thousands of those motors out running around jsut fine with factory fuel setups. Just fix what you have.

rwise

Captain

single line or duel line?
and welcome to iboats

lakesideranch

Recruit

det1949 said:
I can't get an even flow of fuel. Is there an external fuel pump that can be installed in line?

Don't be upset with a proven design when it malfunctions, have a '59 10HP here at the ranch and it has 2 line system and it works mint !! You need to pay attention to lines and quality of the tank interior. Don't give up on a proven system.. it works for thousands of us & yours will too if you just spend a little "quality time" with the basics. My '60 QD21 has way more quirks than the old faithful '59. And you can't beat the factory color schemes... Hang in there.

lakesideranch

Recruit

lakesideranch said:
det1949 said:

Don't be upset with a proven design when it malfunctions, have a '59 10HP here at the ranch and it has 2 line system and it works mint !! You need to pay attention to lines and quality of the tank interior. Don't give up on a proven system.. it works for thousands of us & yours will too if you just spend a little "quality time" with the basics. My '60 QD21 has way more quirks than the old faithful '59. And you can't beat the factory color schemes... Hang in there.

lakesideranch

Recruit

Did a job today on 59 rude with single line system, may be of help to you. 1st problem, cannot rebuild pumps, so need p/n 388685 (Evinrude Johnson) assy includes mtg hdwe, but no gasket. list $47.60
Discard all old fuel system components that have been gaffed over the years, install new vac gasket at block and mount redesigned pump assy (uses same mtg location). route fuel lines and you are done. Test at WOT should push 2psi min. This one makes 2.7 psi.
If you have 2 line pressure tank system you can also convert, but you have much more work to do.
If you need inst respond to this forum & I will help you thru to "surgery" Good luck with the project.
Doug @ lakeside ranch

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That should have the big pump with a glass bowl and operated by a pulse line that runs around the back to a nipple in the bypass port on the other side of the powerhead. That pump is repairable. Nothing goes wrong in there other than the diaphragm. Sierra Marine kit #18-7801. Includes a new filter bag.

det1949

Recruit

I still would like to find an external fuel pump to go in-line.
any suggestions?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, you are wasting your time and money. Fix the pump that's on there if it needs to be fixed. They are just fine and very adequate and there are still thousands of them running around with no problem. In fact they are exactly the same pump that is used on the fondly nick-named Fat Fifty, the all-time record gas guzzler. If it can supply all that gas to a fifty, it surely can keep up with your 35.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm running a '55 15hp. fix the pump and rebuild the tank. laingsoutboards.com has the parts for the tank and engine. eazy fix. many people in the past have monkeyed with these and ruined great engines.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

First we need to find out which model you have. Not all 1958 Evinrudes have pressure tanks. The 35 Lark and Fat 50 both had pulse driven fuel pumps and single line tanks. The standard 35 and smaller motors had pressurized dual line tanks. Post your model number so that some of the suggestions made will make more sense.

If you have a dual line tank, rebuild kits are available at www.vintageoutboards.com. If you have the single line tank with the large fuel pump mounted on the exhaust cover, you can get rebuild kits at a dealer.

You do not want to add an external, electrically driven pump. Your motor likely doesn't have a charging system, and it it does, it's going on 50 years old. Batteries go dead. No battery, no pump if you get an electric pump. Better off sticking to a pressure pulse type fuel pump if that's what you already have.

- Scott

det1949

Recruit

I have tried to hang in there. I still need to know if there is an external fuel pump that will work?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rereading your post, you still haven't told us what engine you have. as far as i know the answer is NO there is no pump that will work. fix the tank, or due the conversion on the motor to a fuel pump. if you screw it up, noting lost as it won't runn right now.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I think we got distracted and off topic here. If the question is can you convert from pressure tank to a fuel pump, the answer is absolutely YES! Just find a bypass cover off a junked 40hp of newer vintage and buy a fuel pump and connector and hoses. You need the bypass cover with the pump mount holes. Hook it up and go! You can get the pump right here at iboats. Here is how it installed on a 40. 35 would be the same.
FuelPumpon40hp2.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Well if you insist on ignoring all this sound advice there are over 300 fuel pumps listed on eBay.Any small low pressure pump can be adapted to work.probably even mounted under the cover.Keep in mind it may not solve your problem and if it does it may be short lived as the cause of your problem may get worse.
Have you checked the pulse port?Give us a chance to help you solve your problem.This is a very simple reliable system thats been on outboards for more than 50 years.