Took the boat out for the first time

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 1986 outboard merc150 ran pretty good. I was very impressed for how smooth it ran for a 20 year old motor. The thing I did notice was, at the end of three hours of boating around was that when I put it in reverse to dock it, it would stall. Did it twice but then never did it again. I learned to launch,drive and load the boat yesterday. I looked like such a newbie:/ I still had lot's of fun though. Anyone know why it might have stalled?

I also noticed there is alot less smoke now when I start it on the hose. Must of cleared aalot of junk out yesterday. The boat did sit for 10 months until i got a hold of it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Took the boat out for the first time

if it sat that long i would change the impeller, just a preliminary caution. impellers get hard if not used.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

tashasdaddy said:
if it sat that long i would change the impeller, just a preliminary caution. impellers get hard if not used.

Impellar?? You mean propellar? Where is the impellar?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The water pump impeller, located in the foot.

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

O my lord you didnt change the impeller? Was the motor pumping water out the side? Im suprised if the impeller still worked after 10 months.. Im also suprised it didnt seize up.

dave524

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Franco802, Please email me at Dave524@ptd.net and I will help you with your impellar questions. Not a big deal to change, but very important. Thanks.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

10 months isn't that big of a deal, but I would have changed it because who knows how old it was.

The best way to get around the reverse stalling thing is to get it in reverse quickly and give it a bit of throttle. This is to make up for the resistance the propeller is seeing when it is trying to turn in reverse while the boat is still moving forward. You might want to look at the thermostats on that thing as well. They can fail and stick open, which does not allow the engine to reach proper operating temps.

Basically, get a shop manual for it and do some preventive maintenance, so you don't have any problems..