1974 Mercury 115 has not been in the water in 10 years..

TimDollar

Cadet
I just bought a 1973 Cheetah with a 1974 115. It has been out of the water for 10 years and not covered. I am replacing some bad wires before I try to start it. Any hints on other things I should check first? And what fuel/oil ratio do I need? There are some wiring that comes out of one side of the hydraulics trim that is bad. What would that be for?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 Mercury 115 has not been in the water in 10 years..

I thought there used to be something on this in the FAQ's. Maybe the Mods have info on this?

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

pull out the plugs and squirt some oil into each cylinder, tilt the engine up as much as possible so it soaks the top of the piston and cylinder walls, let it sit 24 hours, squirt some more oil into each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand a few times repeat oil turn engine by hand again a few times, if everything feels smooth hook up your earmuffs and giver, if it starts and runs ok and you want to use it you should give it a compression test, if compression is ok give it a FULL tune up before you take\trust it on the water....

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

There is a post in the FAQ regarding how best to resurrect an old outboard. You can find it here:

Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy

The wires hanging out one side of your trim are probably for the limit switch. It prevents your motor from running when tilted up.

Your motor is 50:1.

Use mid-grade fuel & premium TCW3 rated oil.

Make sure to set your timing and syncronization properly, as documented here:

Timing and Sync of Merc Inlines to 1988

Don't bother running that motor until the maintenance items are done. A little time spent now can save you a lot fo $$ down the road.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

[edit] double post.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm, I posted that link to the FAQ yesterday right after he posted the question. I wonder what happened to it?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

There must've been a system hiccup at the same moment, as I also had a problem posting. I do remember seeing your post.

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you go to start it be advised that these engines take A LOT of fuel to start and a fully charged battery. Prime the bulb until hard and then give it 5-6 more pumps to force fuel past the floats. You will not flood it and these are very cold natured engines when starting.

I'd replace the fuel pump diaphragm as well as it's only 5-6 bucks.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks AMD, I thought I was going crazy there for a minute.