Water flow and cooling (pee hole)

travelerbob

Recruit
My son is looking at a boat with a 1985 Force 85hp
When it's running below 2000 rpm some water is comming out above the waterline (pee hole) but when it is over 2000 rpm the water stops. It had the impeller replaced to try and fix it but it is still the same. It runs great and no sign of overheating. He has a Merc. 120 and the water just shot out of the holes at all rpm. Compression test on the Force was done and it's very good. Any ideas?? I don't want him to buy somthing and have it blowup, especially 5 miles out in Lake Erie. That's not a place to get stuck!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water flow and cooling (pee hole)

That is typical of the Force motors that only have the exhaust relief holes to verify water flow.

You can install a real telltale by removing the small plug above and just in front of the thermostat cover. Then attach a fitting, and a small hose, route it out of the cowling.

Or you can install a water pressure gauge at the same place, and monitor the water flow while underway.

travelerbob

Recruit

Thanks for the info. If I installed a pressure guage any idea what pres. I should expect?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

4psi at idle
12-16psi at full throttle

Whatever it is, keep an eye on it for changes.

A drop in pressure from normal would indicate a water flow problem.
Either the water inlet got plugged, or the impeller/pump failed.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to check your heat alarm periodically to make certain it is working. It will keep you from frying your motor like I did.

Seppi088

Recruit

Where is this plug infront of the thermostat cover on the force 125? I must be blind, does anybody have a picture so I can install this water pressure gauge???

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is a pic for you, the square-head bolt covers the hole behind the t-stat.

these pics are off of my 1989 force 125

tstat2.JPG

here is a better one of the bolt. I have the head laying on a workbench because i am in the process of rebuilding the powerhead.

tstat.JPG

Seppi088

Recruit

Thank You! Hopfully I can get this pressure gauge kit hooked up tomorrow so I can help diagnose why my buzzer goes off periodically

Seppi088

Recruit

how the heck do you get the plug out? I'm trying to get it out with a Flat head screw driver and it doesnt want to budge, I am starting to strip it. Any tips or suggestions on how to go about getting that plug out???

Seppi088

Recruit

Anybody else have a tough time getting this plug out?

Seppi088

Recruit

Should I just drill a hole and tap the peice in?

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

mine is a square-head bolt, not a slotted screw so I am not sure. I have not tried to take mine out either

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Mine was a Flat Head screw, get a large Screw driver and some PB Blaster or Deep Creep, that will loosen it up. I had to really turn this thing really hard for it to come out. I did finally get it out though.

Good luck on that.

Bryan

VenoMystic96

Cadet

I wasnt able to get it out. I ended up driling a hole threw it and rigging the hose in there with some JB weld, lol

J BLANK

Seaman Apprentice

baxtr said:
here is a pic for you, the square-head bolt covers the hole behind the t-stat.

these pics are off of my 1989 force 125

tstat2.JPG

here is a better one of the bolt. I have the head laying on a workbench because i am in the process of rebuilding the powerhead.

tstat.JPG

J BLANK

Seaman Apprentice

I HAVE A 75 HP FORCE AND IT DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A STRONG FLOW FROM THE PEE HOLE SO COULD I DO THE SAME WITH IT AS YOU SAID ABOVE TO GET MORE WATER FLOW.

J BLANK

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I took the plug out and put the Teleflex Water Pressure gauge on, I have not been able to get the gauge to work. When I remove the hose from the back of the gauge with the engine running, I have water coming out of the tube, to the gauge. Is this how it should be? I thought I read somewhere that it should never have water running all the way to the gauge, but only air? What did I do wrong or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Bryan