Water in oil

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if I am qualified to reply or not, but I had that happen in my truck once, turned out to be a gasket. After I wiped all the white stuff off the intake base, heads, rockers, and anything else that had the water oil mix, i just put fresh oil in ran a few mintues and changed it again, kept it up till the oil came out nice and new. I am sure there is a better way to do it.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Water in oil

I have a 120 mercruiser and the oil is milky. I will try to find the source of the water intrusion and change the oil and filter. Should I be concerned about the milky residue left in the engine? Is there a way to flush the engine oil?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water in oil

No, that's pretty much how it's done. You keep changing the oil and filter until you no longer see water in it...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you do the oil changes, replace a couple of quarts of that oil with diesel fuel. Run for 3-5 minutes at idle, let set for about half an hour, run again for 3-5 minutes and change again. It helps wash the milky oil out.
You will never get all of it out by changing the oil and filter, but once you get it to a minimum, taking it out on the water for a long run will boil the rest of the moisture out of the oil.
Have you determined where the water is coming from? If it's still leaking, you will never get the oil clean.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

geo7 said:
I have a 120 mercruiser and the oil is milky. I will try to find the source of the water intrusion and change the oil and filter. Should I be concerned about the milky residue left in the engine? Is there a way to flush the engine oil?

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I changed oil and filter and the dipstick looks like I didn't. I will try the diesel flush today. Compression test each cyl at over 155 to 160. Cyl look dry. Hope it isn't a cracked block.