Evinrude gas consumption question.......??

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 100 hp v4 commercial. It was on the boat I bought. My question is....how much gass will this baby eat per hr at moderate speed and trolling. any estimates as to consumption or how to figure it out??

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude gas consumption question.......??

Probably about 10 gallons per hour at full throttle. Just on plane about 3-4 gallons per hour and trolling, not much....Just a guess...

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the brp johnson site states at 3500 rpm approx 4.9 gallons per hour at 5200 rpm 12 gallons per hour. so given that it is a 2005 motor our older ones would be a little worse.i can troll most of a day on 5 gallons but if i open my 90 up i can go through the 10 gallons pretty fast,in side of a hour for mine ,but i rarely run wide open and it lasts a lot longer say at 4000 rpm.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

cougar, please, post that link for the website you mentioned. I know the old rule of thumb for my '95 200 looper is 20 GPM per hour at WOT. I am here to tell you that is not far from the truth! I've been running at around 3500 lately to conserve fuel and it's working. But I'd like to see some basic consumption #'s at varying RPMs.

BTW, I'll be near Perry Sound (Mactier) in September. Beautiful country! A big departure for a Fl boy.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hookmaster, sorry for the High Jack! I got carried away there.8)

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have as much luck posting links as i do pictures. simply type in brp johnson into your search engine then go from there i will try to post but like i said im not very good at it .lol.

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info and the link.............Looks like if I have a 25 gallon tank, run and troll, I should have plenty of gas for an 8 hr day of fishing. I was used to fishing all day in my old 19' Renken that had a 120 hp IO Mercruiser. It used at most 10 -12 gallons with quite a lot of run time! I'll find out as soon as I finish the restoration on the Manatee, probably around October 1st.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since fuel consumption is getting to be an issue given the current fuel prices, it is a good investment to install a fuel flow monitor that tells you exactly what the burn rate is at any given throttle setting. It can also tell you fuel remaining, total used, and total used for trip. The key advantage is it will help you find the "sweet spot" for your engine/boat setup. Identical engines on different boats will not burn the same amount of fuel. Fuel flow monitors (Navman 2100 is but one) are relatively inexpensive if you shop around.

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great idea! Will definitely look into this option. I have not run an outboard since around 1985. Had a 55hp on a Starcraft aluminium hull. Two 5 gal cans was all I needed on the CT river.

Thanks..........